Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest or DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings

Here is a UQ question

Has anyone ever used or have opinions on how well this would work for weather down to...20ish?
    I was thinking of trying to use a military style poncho and put a poncho liner (the one thats like a thin blanket) between the poncho and the hammock. I have never used a hammock in weather below about 40 and then I just had a sleeping bag in the hammock. I was thinking along the lines of...the poncho will help stop the wind and the poncho liner would help with a small amount of insulation. Both are lighter than a hammock and will compress well...and it's multipurpose. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Poncho liners in single layer are only good to 52-55 degrees for most folk...Kicker is they weigh 21.5 oz and down UQs good to20-30 are only in the 21 oz range and a whole lot less bulk.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Poncho liners in single layer are only good to 52-55 degrees for most folk...Kicker is they weigh 21.5 oz and down UQs good to20-30 are only in the 21 oz range and a whole lot less bulk.

pan
    +1 I've used a PLUQ many times and it's good summer option. For an inexpensive under quilt, it's an attractive option, especially if you add some batting or higher-quality Climashield insulation. But as Pan indicated, PLUQs lose to other options that are lighter and less bulky.

I also had a question about "non-traditional" under quilts. I don't mean to steal thunder, Snakehandler, but maybe if this is a viable option you might also be interested in it. Has anyone ever thought about using those old wool blankets from the army-navy surplus stores as an underquilt? They're quite warm, it would take some sewing though, obviously. But perhaps that might be a cheaper option than paying more for a manufactured underquilt or for a bunch of fabric?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by insanesanta278 View Post
    I also had a question about "non-traditional" under quilts. I don't mean to steal thunder, Snakehandler, but maybe if this is a viable option you might also be interested in it. Has anyone ever thought about using those old wool blankets from the army-navy surplus stores as an underquilt? They're quite warm, it would take some sewing though, obviously. But perhaps that might be a cheaper option than paying more for a manufactured underquilt or for a bunch of fabric?
    i seen them used in the hammock and they work ok... but again weight is an issue and trying to stay on top of it can be a pain
    pads can be a very cheap option that works fine if you don't have a UQ at this time
    but just about 90% of people that stick with hanging end up getting an UQ at some point in time .....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Most hangers are looking for something light weight and cheap and the two do not always go together.

If you are car camping then weight is not a major issue. If you are back packing then weight is a major concern.

Down UQ's and TQ's are very light weight and pack small but are pricey

Synthetic UQ's and TQ's are almost as light weight as down, not as expensive but do not pack as small as down. Plus side is they can insulate even when wet.

Closed Cell Foam (CCF) pads are cheap and light weight but are very bulky.

Folks have also used Poncho Liners, fleece blankets, wool blankets, modified sleeping bags ect with varying degrees of success.

It all comes down to what works for you
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts