Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back to sleeping bag from overquilt.

Hello,
    I'm probably going back to my WM Ultralite bag from my overquilt. I find that the quilt allows cool air to move in and rob me of the warmth I have created everytime I move. It is very comfortable. But, everytime that I move- cool air moves in and I can feel it. Anyone went this direction?

earplug
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm probably going back to my WM Ultralite bag from my overquilt. I find that the quilt allows cool air to move in and rob me of the warmth I have created everytime I move. It is very comfortable. But, everytime that I move- cool air moves in and I can feel it. Anyone went this direction?

earplug
    I have only when testing an UQ and I did not want there to be any variables from the top side. And when I was new to this game, I often used my sleeping bag in a traditional fashion, even though it was pretty much a hassle as compared to using it as a quilt. But not being able to cinch it around my neck, and what with the hood in my way, it was very difficult for me to avoid neck drafts, plus I lost the fantastic function of the hood and neck collar, which are no doubt a significant part of a bags rating.

But I guess I have developed the technical skill to sleep in an UQ over the years. My ~21 oz Golight Quilt will cinch down around my neck for a good seal, and it is fairly wide so I am usually able to get it tucked and keep it so. And I have a separate sleeping bag hood I can use with it when pushing it to it's limits. Or, I lay on my side and pull it over all but the very top of my head, making a little hole to the side to breath out of- this is the warmest approach. And I guess I can now mostly move in a controlled fashion during my sleep so as not to cause too much of a draft.

For that matter, I have also increased my skills for using my bag as a quilt. It is wider than most any quilt, so that much easier to keep tucked. As with the quilt ( but better ) I can lay on my side and cover my entire head with the bag's hood- Very warm! But, the best recent trick is to have the bag unzipped down to the foot box, with neck collar closed or snapped, but NOT yet cinched. I just stick my head in through the side and up past the neck collar into the bags hood, then stick my feet into the footbox. I leave things unzipped, and work the zipper almost or completely under me. I now have all the benefits of a mummy bags hood and neck collar, and no trouble keeping tucked against drafts, and almost all of the comfort and convenience of a quilt. Plus, if it all hits the fan, just get in the bag and use it as designed.

It is almost enough to make me just use my sleeping bags. But especially sense they are heavier synthetic, the only reason I don't is weight and bulk.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Hello,

earplug
    My. Of Western Mountaineering bags, you've chosen one of the snug ones to get back into.

So, I wonder: Will you wish you had the "wider girth" version of that bag, the Alpinlite?

And you're pretty sure that straps connecting the sides, making it a kind of top bag wouldn't be more comfortable?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hello,

earplug
    I'm like you. I have the WM Summerlite and I like it better than a summer overquilt. But I also use it kinda like an overquilt. I open it almost all the way, leaving it zipped enough for a footbox and then I lay it over me like a quilt.

The colder it gets the more I zip it up to keep it snugged around me. Sometimes I use it as a traditional sleeping bag in the colder temps rated for this bag.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    I couldn't be happier with my 40f Kelty lightweight down sleeping bag. Nice and puffy around my upper body, zipped up foot pocket that can also be unzipped at the end. Have used it from 34f to 75f thus far and the thought of buying a TQ hasn't entered my mind yet so it must work.

I just put my feet in the zipped foot end and leave the top open on top of me.
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I only used my mummy bag as a TQ, so I cut off the hood, draft collar, and removed the zipper... it's now only 32oz... and plenty wide for lots of tucking.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I only used my mummy bag as a TQ, so I cut off the hood, draft collar, and removed the zipper... it's now only 32oz... and plenty wide for lots of tucking.

John-
    I have a 15 degree Marmot Angel Fire that I am not really fond of cutting up.
    How much did you save by cutting these off?
    and does one just sew and cut? any other special alterations?

I had to cut this thing up. I may just make a TQ. It currently weights in at 22oz

thanks for any feedback

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Not that there's anything wrong with your plan, but does your quilt fit you?

I've never had the problem that you're describing, but I can easily imagine it happening if the quilt is either too narrow or too short to fit you.

Hello,

earplug

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I move around in my sleep alot and always have since a kid so sleeping bag is definatly the way for me. TQ's seems like it would end up balled up and kicked to my feet during the night. Being able to zip it half way up is a good thing for me!

Images
    In winter, snow hanging etc I prefer my SB over TQ for the reasons you stated (drafts)
    In winter I am not so worried about weight since I usually carry my gear in a pulk sled.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast