WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    /OFF TOPIC/

There are lots of ways to stay warm in a hammock, pads and under quilts being only two. I've experimented with almost everything and my favorite is the under quilt.

See if there is anyone from the forum who is close to you who can demonstrate a quilt and try some of the other methods and see what works for you!
    +100
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Give us some more info on where you are starting from, and you will be able to get better answers.
    What hammock are you using?
    Single layer or double layer(pad pocket)?
    What is your cheap pad? A WM blue pad will still work at fairly cold temps.
    Is money the most important factor, or are you willing to spend a little if needed?
    Do you already have a good bag, and do you want to stick with that and not make a new purchase? If so, it can be used as a quilt most of the time. Or when it is really cold, you just need to learn a couple of tricks so that trying to get in the bag(in a hammock) and zipping it up won't be a nightmare.

Or, if you have a good bag of the right design and size and the right hammock, you might can rig it pod style, as has been mentioned.

If you don't already have a warm bag, and getting something for your hammock is your main concern, you might be better off looking into a quilt.
    You sir make a good point, here is a bit more info on why I asked what I did. I will be going out in December here in Tx. It might be 20 at night or 50 at night. We really dont know till it happens LoL. I have a "mosquito hammock" the "jungle hammock" model. I have used it in only warm weather to where all I took was my pad and a sheet and was fine. Now the mat I have is the blue "workout" matt you find at walmart. I think it will work just fine but now I am torn on a sleeping bag. I hate sleeping when I am cold and I like the idea of a "mummy" type bag. I am willing to spend some money on it (bout $100 give or take). I do not currently have a "cold weather" bag so I am seeing this as an investment.

To everyone that has posted, thank you theres been alot of good input and some I was confused about LOL

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TXHC View Post
    You sir make a good point, here is a bit more info on why I asked what I did. I will be going out in December here in Tx. It might be 20 at night or 50 at night. We really dont know till it happens LoL. I have a "mosquito hammock" the "jungle hammock" model. I have used it in only warm weather to where all I took was my pad and a sheet and was fine. Now the mat I have is the blue "workout" matt you find at walmart. I think it will work just fine but now I am torn on a sleeping bag. I hate sleeping when I am cold and I like the idea of a "mummy" type bag. I am willing to spend some money on it (bout $100 give or take). I do not currently have a "cold weather" bag so I am seeing this as an investment.

To everyone that has posted, thank you there's been a lot of good input and some I was confused about LOL
    Ah. When you first said jungle hammock, I was thinking you meant the old school army hammocks that look like a suspended cot - I re-read your post and see you have a double layer hammock...

Well, it sounds like your okay with pads and are more interested in feedback on sleeping bags or top quilts for top insulation.

Now you mentioned "investment." When I hear investment, I think of high quality products that will last a for years. Honestly, in my opinion, for a hundred bucks I'd be looking for a down bag rated at 20 degrees plus, and use that as a top quilt (most top quilts designed for hammocks are closer to 200 bucks.) I figure I could get a pretty light, easy to pack down sleeping bag that I could use in the range your looking at (20 to 50 degrees,) and go colder with extra layers of clothing if need be. In fact, for my top insulation I do just that (I use a 30 degree North Face down bag that packs small and sleep in light layers - works great down to 20 degrees with good bottom insulation.)

On the other hand, if you're going to invest in true winter bags or quilts that will take you below 20 degrees, then you're likely looking at over 200 bucks (unless you're okay with bulky and/or heavy cotton or synthetics.) That's what I did to be sure I was safe and comfy even in winter conditions - I invested in a full length Incubator, and it is a warm bundle of comfy goodness!

Oh. and here's a link to a comparison chart for some of the most commonly used bottom and top quilts.
    Last edited by lizzie; 11-28-2011 at 00:25.

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    i have that hammock and this is what we did. take down the ridgeline that holds up the bugnet. slide a sleeping bag in the hammock and a wally world pad on top of that. zip it shut. hold that all in place while you totally flip it over. the net should hold your pad and sleeping bag tight against the bottom. i tried it with just the pad and it wasn't tight enough. maybe a sleeping bag and space blanket would work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123