Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios

Pads for a Hennessy

I just bought a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym. Up till now I've used a blue closed cell pad and a reflective sportsman's tarp under my bag. Does the Double Bubble they sell work well? It looks like I could save some weight and space if I went with the XL. Are they similar to the things you put against your windshield to reflect the sun? Will I still need and UQ?
    Tom C.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    They're supposed to be double-layered, rather than just the single layer you get for the car windshield. If so, they could possibly work alright, but I'm more worried about the vapour barrier situation. I don't really want to wake up all drenched. I'm also interested in hearing people's experiences with these things.

BTW I just ordered an Explorer Deluxe, along with the XL Double Bubble Pad, so I'm hoping that they work well!

Images
    I use the HH pad in a Deep Jungle - works like a charm between the two layers. I've never used it in a single layer hammock (Explorer) as the reflictix material would feel clammy (my opinion, never tried it).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm thinking of making a cover for it, but I figure I'll be wearing clothes, so it may not be too much of an issue. I hope not, anyway.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Hmmm...a fleece covered pad might be just the ticket!

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    Hmmm...a fleece covered pad might be just the ticket!
    That's not a bad idea. Wally world sells a small fleece sleeping bag that might be just the ticket for that.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    The ccf pads work just fine in the Expedition with a sleeping bag. I have been in the teens with a pad a HEAVY sb and warm clothes but I dont count grams .....
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've got the HH Asym Zip which I've used with a space blanket, ccf blue foam pad and 0* sleeping bag down to mid-twenties. If you sleep hot, no telling how cold you could go with that setup. The fleece you are suggesting may actually wick away some condensation so it sounds like it might work pretty well.

Now if you sleep cold, then all bets are off. I would imagine the slightest bit of condensation would send a cold sleeper into a blue panic. A little condensation never bothered me in the least.

Hammock camping is a lot like downhill skiing: regulating your temperature is an art. Since I'm not a cold person by nature (must be the Nordic blood), being hot on the slopes upsets me much more than being cold.

With skiing, overdressing just kills me. I sweat like a pig. I prefer to wear just a silk undershirt, a merino wool sweater, a fleece and a nylon double shell outer layer. Bottom insulation is just a pair of long johns and nylon double shell pants. I've ski'd in -10 degrees and stayed warm.

In extremely cold temps, I've been thinking about wearing that exact ensemble in my hammock. The nylon shell would work like a vapor barrier (which works for some people), keeping your body heat in. The silk (or some other wickng material), fleece, and wool would wick the moisture away from your skin.

Now if the temps would only cooperate so I could experiment with cold weather. It was 67 degrees in NJ today and I actually saw a mosquito. It's almost December; what's going on? I just have to keep repeating to myself the mantra: there is no such thing as global warming. There is no such thing as global warming.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    I haven't tested it yet, but my plan is to use a Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest and a Slumberjack down sleeping bag. (Because that's what I have on hand.) I could toss a space blanket on top of the thermarest pad and see how that works. The down bag is rated 40*, but I've stayed warm in it when it was in the mid 20s.

My HH comes next week and I'll test this out. I do like the idea of the HH pad with a fleece sleeping bag cover. I might switch to that if what I have doesn't work out.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios
    My next chance to camp out will be at the Klondike Derby with the Boy Scouts in January. Last year it was 0 degrees F. with a stiff breeze. If I can stay warm in those conditions this year with a zero degree mummy bag, Blue Walmart CCF pads (2 overlapped for width), and a sportsman's reflective tarp on the bottom, I will be a rock star.
    I will be using an open top hammock with a Kelty Noah's 12 though. I can really make a decent cocoon shelter with the tarp to block the wind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast