WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    CMT - You just need to spend the next couple of years getting MORE GEAR!!!

Well, here's my after action report.

I was busy helping teach Webelos how to set up their own tent at first, so I didn't get started on mine until after sundown. Took me about 5 minutes to setup the hammock. Not bad in the dark, for only my second time setting it up.

Had a Windshield Reflector, Army Surplus CCF Pad and a quilt under me, a 20-40 degree Coleman bag.

Both nights, the low was right at 32. The first night, there was no wind. Second night, 5mph wind, with gusts up to 20mph.

The first night, I was just fine, In fact after I woke up at 3am to go water the trees, when I got back in the Hammock, I was too warm, and had to take off my sweatshirt.

The second night, the wind cut right through me. I was freezing. Another Dad and Son who have been Hammock Camping for years ended up retreating into a tent, so I don't feel quite so bad.

I've got to figure out how to hang my CPAP from the Ridgeline, and how to Rig up an Underquilt from an old Sleeping Bag. Probably won't be out camping again until March, so I've got a while.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A lower tarp pitch or better out-of-wind site selection can help that a lot! Also....a weathershield works wonders with wind. Check out 2QZQ's .....http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    At least that one night was warm.
    Carry on.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    The forecast low for this weekend where I'm going 34*. Tonight I plan to test sleeping in the hammock in the 40s with my down bag and BA Insulated Air Core Pad. I also have a windshield reflector I could toss in there if the first attempt doesn't work.

Will report back.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    In planning for the campout it turns out I need to share a tent with my son. Not because we can't sleep in hammocks, but rather that the troop discourages boys sleeping in tents alone and there's no one else to sleep with him. So, looks like I'll be going to ground for this trip. By the next he'll have his own hammock and we can hang together!

BTW, the BA pad made sleeping in the hammock more bearable at 35*-40*, but still chilly.

First post.
    This week I hung for the first time in a Hennessey Hammock Explorer Deluxe. Slept in a Wiggys 0* Bag and found that at 40* I got a chill on the back when lying flat but seemed to do better on my side. My sleeping bag is new and very good insulating, but there has to be some dead air between me and the hammock period. Very interesting how heat transfer goes with the compressed bag. No problem with this bag on the ground or mat.

Plan to go out next week with another outer 40* bag as a quilt and an thermorest pad in the hammock.

Anyone tried a thermorest air mat inside the hammock?

Love sleeping in the hammock and look forward to warm summer times when the chilling aspect is more a benefit.

Best,

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    Well, here's my after action report.

I was busy helping teach Webelos how to set up their own tent at first, so I didn't get started on mine until after sundown. Took me about 5 minutes to setup the hammock. Not bad in the dark, for only my second time setting it up.

Had a Windshield Reflector, Army Surplus CCF Pad and a quilt under me, a 20-40 degree Coleman bag.

Both nights, the low was right at 32. The first night, there was no wind. Second night, 5mph wind, with gusts up to 20mph.

The first night, I was just fine, In fact after I woke up at 3am to go water the trees, when I got back in the Hammock, I was too warm, and had to take off my sweatshirt.

The second night, the wind cut right through me. I was freezing. Another Dad and Son who have been Hammock Camping for years ended up retreating into a tent, so I don't feel quite so bad.

I've got to figure out how to hang my CPAP from the Ridgeline, and how to Rig up an Underquilt from an old Sleeping Bag. Probably won't be out camping again until March, so I've got a while.
    Tony,

CPAP???? I this for sleep apnea? What is you power source?
    Charlie
    ASM, Troop 319
    Jacksonville NC

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    First post.
    This week I hung for the first time in a Hennessey Hammock Explorer Deluxe. Slept in a Wiggys 0* Bag and found that at 40* I got a chill on the back when lying flat but seemed to do better on my side. My sleeping bag is new and very good insulating, but there has to be some dead air between me and the hammock period. Very interesting how heat transfer goes with the compressed bag. No problem with this bag on the ground or mat.

Plan to go out next week with another outer 40* bag as a quilt and an thermorest pad in the hammock.

Anyone tried a thermorest air mat inside the hammock?

Love sleeping in the hammock and look forward to warm summer times when the chilling aspect is more a benefit.

Best,

Satch
    I've heard of a lot of folks successfully using a thermarest in their hammocks. Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge staying on the actual pad itself, and sometimes you can run into situations where the hammock touches your shoulders over the top of the pad and you can get cold.

Last thought...let the pad underinflate a bit...it'll conform to the hammock and your body a bit better.

All information I've heard...not tested personally YET...I've got a thermorest pad I'll be testing out in my next hang in Jan.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    First post.
    Hey Satch, welcome!

Pads are used by almost everyone at some point. A nice closed-cell foam pad (a blue pad from Walmart, for example) is great for creating a shield between you and the cold. These pads work great and are inexpensive. Self-inflating pads work well too, so give them all a try.

Winter camping in a hammock has its own challenges and rewards. This past weekend I was out with our Boy Scout troop where it got down into the teens. I outfit one of the scouts in a second hammock set-up I brought and we both were toasty.

One of the year-round advantages we hangers have is that when it was time to pack up, all of our gear was already "hanging" out to dry, so it took no time at all to store our hammocks and hit the trail. In fact, I left my hammock up and watched one of our other leaders pack up his tent and talk to his son about the importance of drying out their tent before packing, etc. We had to wait an extra 45 minutes for them as they tried to dry off the bottom of their tent from all the goop and mud and snow.

Just like clothing, the key to staying warm in a hammock is good layering. A few good pads, sleeping bags, liners, and even under quilts are great ways to insulate. Getting a large tarp that can seal off the wind is also key.

I wish you the best and hope you won't give up in the winter, but yes, summer is when hammocks really shine when the additional convective heat loss is a real bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by samawech View Post
    Tony,

CPAP???? I this for sleep apnea? What is you power source?
    Charlie
    ASM, Troop 319
    Jacksonville NC

Batteries. I have an Everest, which has integrated batteries, but I believe is discontinued.

However, there is a newer, and lighter battery powered one out now.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/tran...somnetics.html

449 for the cpap itself, 335 for a multi-nite battery. Insurance will likely reimburse for it.

If you have a prescription for a cpap, you can take the prescription to ANY DME. Whether insurance will handle it the same as their preferred provider is a big question. Check cpaptalk.com forums for more info on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast