Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to practice without any trees?

Howdy folks, I'm fairly new to hammock camping beyond the summer months, so I'm finding myself with lots of questions. These forums provide a great deal of wisdom, but not much beats practice and just trying things out yourself. Also, for some things, there are just so many options floating around out there with no clear "best" solution (think: tarp setups). I'd love to try things out and see what works best for me, but the problem is: I have no mature trees in my yard!

I have some spare 10 foot steel pipes that I've thought about making into two teepees (with three pipes each), hammered into the ground and reinforced with some guy lines. Then each teepee would be secured by tying some rope towards the top. Do you think this would work, or have any ideas that would help? My preference is to avoid any setup that's expensive, hard to install, or takes up a lot of space when dismantled.

That's a pretty good idea.
    I would just get a bag of concrete and put the poles in the ground, that way you only need two poles..I use my sons fort, (play set ) to set my hammocks up but I want to use some poles in the ground. I want to set it up about 20' apart so I can get a good hang for all my hammocks... Here is a Warbonnet traveler and claytor diamond tarp I just set up to sleep in tonight..

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have a similar problem: no trees in my 2.5 acres! I wanted something that was inexpensive, easy to set up, and was easily transportable (I liked the idea of taking it on Boy Scout camporees where we often are setting up in a big field).

I first made a tensegrity stand for 3 hammocks, but it didn't work out how I hoped.

My new stand is an anchored, three-hammock stand that fits the bill: inexpensive, easy-to-aquire pieces, easy to set up, and portable.

> http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23622

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Your teepee idea sounds a lot like a Turtle Lady stand. Your 10' steel pipe would make a great ridge pole that keeps the two teepees from collapsing inward. Although I like your idea of pounding the pipes into the ground, Turtle Lady's stands are portable and you can move them to various places in your yard.

See all about it here: TL stand thread

Good luck!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    You could do something like this: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...+hammock+stand You can use pipe fittings to make the joints if the pipe was sized appropriately.

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here is a link for a thread that I used to create mine, even though I just created mine out of wood.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41745

Thank you all for the ideas! It looks like I'm running into the problem of too many options to choose from again. I like the Turtle Lady's stand. It looks similar to what I was thinking of, except freestanding and with a cross beam... I probably have enough extra pipes to put that together. At $2 per pipe, it's still a cheap setup.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    How about you find two 12" pipes just large enough in diameter for the scrap ones to slide into. Cement them into the ground spaced appropriately for hammocks and deep enough to be sturdy. Then all you need to do is slide the pipes into the sleeves and hang. When you are done, they pull out and get put away for those times when you want more yard.

I bought a Byer Vario stand for my backyard lab...it was easier than begging the "Warden" for a zoning variance.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    How about you find two 12" pipes just large enough in diameter for the scrap ones to slide into. Cement them into the ground spaced appropriately for hammocks and deep enough to be sturdy. Then all you need to do is slide the pipes into the sleeves and hang. When you are done, they pull out and get put away for those times when you want more yard.

I bought a Byer Vario stand for my backyard lab...it was easier than begging the "Warden" for a zoning variance.
    I like it! Simple & ingenious. As long as I put the pipe holder low enough to clear my lawnmower, it can be a permanent hidden feature.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Pic please when you are done...the Warden might be convinced to allow me the same set up. Oh and when the main pipes are removed you will want to plug the holes with something to keep them from filling up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast