Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Warbonnet superfly tarptent?

sorry about the pics, i was going to go to the park and take some pics with different setups, but i realized most of my stakes are frozen into the ground in the backyard and cannot be removed, but this gives you an idea.

this is something i've been meaning to make for awhile now. just like the speer winter tarp, it's basically just a newer version of the old tarptents made out of a big rectangular tarp like seen on justjeff's site.

advantages of this design are that it converts back to a regular hex tarp when weather permits, the end panels simply swing inward all the way and attach to the underside of the ridgeline. the panels are tied up and out of the way in a few seconds and it then functions like a regular tarp.

even when in use as a 4-walled shelter, only 4 stakes are required. by using 2 more stakes, the end panels can be staked independently of the tarp giving you many setup options.

i like this design because unlike the old tarptents, it provides full coverage on the ends as well. even with the one side staked up high, you still have a full wind-break on 3 sides.

also, like my trail days demo, it is a perimeter-loaded design, which enables a tighter pitch than would be available with traditional corner pull tabs. the 1/2" gg ribbon that runs inside the edge hem adds about 1-1.5 oz to the total weight, i'm thinking that replacing it with a lighter edge binding instead will provide the same performance with reduced weight.

specs:

11x10

floor-space in tarptent mode: ~80" wide x 88" long

ridgeline height in tarptent mode: ~4'3"-6" (in center), slightly higher at ends.

weight: i'll post back with this later when i weigh it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 01-19-2008 at 23:26.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    **** man, I am very impressed. Nice work!

- JT

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Wow, That looks great. Really nice tarptent. Thanks for the pictures. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Extremely Nice! You really do some great work!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Great idea having the end attached to just one side. Less tie outs plus it is easier to make one door versus two. That is one tight pitch. Really nice job.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Nice clean lines on that, very attractive.

I've been noticing with my tarptent that wind can and does still come in at quite a clip through any gaps I leave. I imagine the potential for that along the "open" edge of the door. I can imagine having on at least one of the doors a lightweight way of buttoning it up pretty completely, and use the other end for entry/exit. Or maybe you've got that already, can't really tell from the pictures.

My stakes are frozen in also, I might have to leave them in, and get some more before going to the Mt. Rogers hang next week.

I sure like your stand too

Grizz

Images
    yes, i'm sure wind can still get in through the 2 openings if it is coming from the right direction, this is the same as with other tarptent designs as well. my way of thinking right now is that if wind and weather is coming in through the door, you should have oriented the setup in another direction. as long as you orient it so wind is hitting the secure side or either of the two ends, you should be fine, this means you have to pay attention to where the weather is coming from during setup, and at least get it right with a margin of error of 270*(3 fully protected sides) which isn't bad. i could use a full length of velcro on the door to seal it from wind in all directions, but it would add weight that i don't want to add, and as long as you orient it somewhat correctly, i'm thinking fully sealable doors are not completely necessary. i have done no testing to back this up however.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    very nice WBG. Im am truly impressed. Now seriously, can you guys stop make soooooooo much cool gear, Im really poor right now and it hurts to see all of this cool gear. *Sigh* Hello my name is Kyle, and Im a gearaholic. in all seriousness, it looks quite sleek and really functuinal.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yes, i'm sure wind can still get in through the 2 openings if it is coming from the right direction, this is the same as with other tarptent designs as well. my way of thinking right now is that if wind and weather is coming in through the door, you should have oriented the setup in another direction. as long as you orient it so wind is hitting the secure side or either of the two ends, you should be fine, this means you have to pay attention to where the weather is coming from during setup, and at least get it right with a margin of error of 270*(3 fully protected sides) which isn't bad. i could use a full length of velcro on the door to seal it from wind in all directions, but it would add weight that i don't want to add, and as long as you orient it somewhat correctly, i'm thinking fully sealable doors are not completely necessary. i have done no testing to back this up however.
    agreed velcro is too heavy; (Dutch has me thinking about very lightweight hooks). And insightful that by using two full doors, sewn in on the same side, you can get 3 side coverage.

Grizz

Images
    yes, right now there is just some gg ribbon in the middle of each door for tying shut. it is actually kind of a pain to tie it shoestring style like i had planned, but something similar might still work. for full closure, 2 or even 3 ties per door might do a better job of sealing it up, although the more complicated opening and closing the door becomes. also, as you can see in the pics, there will also still be the small opening at the top where i shortened the end panel so the hammock's support line has room to exit above it.

what kind of hooks is dutch talking about?

i also was considering some of those tiny snaps, like the ones on counrty/western button down shirts.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 01-19-2008 at 23:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast