Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Thumbs up KAMMOK Roo Hammock

My review (with lots of photos) of the KAMMOK Roo for BackpackGearTest.org has been posted here:

> http://bit.ly/rxiomf

SUMMARY

• The KAMMOK Roo is a very large, comfortable hammock (Length: 129 in / 328 cm, width: 72 in / 183 cm).
    • The diamond ripstop fabric has a nice, supple feel that is soft and comfortable.
    • The stuff sack is unique, probably over-engineered, but very nice. It adds a "high-class" touch to a quality product.
    • The hammock includes very robust carabiners rated for hanging
    • Small touches and attention-to-detail give this hammock a high-class feel

This is probably the largest hammock I've camped in and I found that I got the best lay with a nice, deep sag--with a hang angle nearly 45 degrees. Because of its size and this hang angle, I found that my regular MacCat tarps from OES weren't wide enough to give the best side coverage. For best side coverage I had to hang the hammock at the more traditional 30 degree angle. The hammock is still comfortable, but as is common with large hammocks pulled "tight," you experience what I call the "canoe" or "bathtub" effect, where the sides of the hammock are tighter than the center, creating a deep pocket or bucket seat.

As Grizz mentioned in his video overview, the Roo is slightly heavier than comparable gathered-end hammocks on the market, but it is still a workable piece of gear for backpacking and hiking. I took it on a few multi-day backpacking trips and several hikes and really enjoyed it, especially when I could afford the deep sag. I'm a bit of a gram weenie and I like my lightweight backpacking kit, but for short trips, the Roo didn't bother me.

The attention to detail on this hammock is noticeable. I'm a fan of gathered-end hammocks but usually the only thing that separates one from the other is the logo stitched on the stuff sack. The Roo, in comparison, not only sports a different, very classy, comfortable fabric, the stitching is top-notch, and the included carabiners and durable spectra rope are uncommon among the competition. While not necessary for performance, KAMMOK put a slight twist in the Lark's Head knot that attaches the spectra loop to the carabiner. Little touches like this give the hammock a classy look.

Check out the photos and measurements in my review of the KAMMOK Roo hammock on BGT.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    That's as pretty a review I've ever seen on on BGT...no surprise!

Noticed you didn't use the Python straps, that's the biggest bit of unnecessary weight in the rig. Fine for new folks or for tossing in the beach bag, but ounce counting backpackers like you and me know that a 11.5 ounce suspension system isn't necessary, and hence not wanted.

Not that the Kammok people would care what I thought, but I really think they ought to have some proper testing done on their biners and find out what a higher safe load actually is. I'm sure the biners are safe beyond 250 lbs, but there's NO WAY I'd hang from a suspension with a weak link rated only to 250 lbs. That's the number they advertise.

Glad to see this review!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Thanks Grizz! Since the Python Straps are a different product, I'm submitting a separate review for those. Yes, they are heavy!

I agree: I think those carabiners are worth more weight.

• + New Posts