Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I've found nearly all instructions wrong, even Hennessy's. Watch the Warbonnet video and just do it like that.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I would start loose and then test ridgeline after getting in the hammock, it will get tighter under weight. Here is a set up before fine tuning,

[IMG][/IMG]

The ridgeline is not really part of the suspension, it is meant to hold netting, and be used as an indicator for setup. My first time I followed all the incorrect you tube videos that show the hammock going straight between the trees with no sag. I created a catapult and nearly did a backflip as a tent peg flew by my eyeball. lol

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    What seems to be missed is that you ant to end up at 30 deg not start there. There is enough give in the system as it is sold that you want to pull it more or less flat then as you get in it sags to 30. It might be easier to have somebody else check it when you are in it. Alternatively you can video yourself. Once you get the feel of it you will be fine.
    If you start at 30 deg then the wt will take it to more than 30 degrees which will actually reduce the tension on the suspension which may be a good thing for people of size.
    The angle should be sufficient to get he ridgeline just tight enough without drooping. No more, no less.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Sounds like everyone is saying not to string it tight. Am I wrong?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    Sounds like everyone is saying not to string it tight. Am I wrong?
    You're not wrong.

Personally, I weigh about 190 right now, and I find it most comfortable with my Explorer Ultralight when I hang it so that I can turn the ridgeline between 90 and 180 degrees off normal with two fingers (just about what the Warbonnet method suggests).

If it's more than 180, I find that it is too saggy, and I have to get too far on the diagonal to fit in the hammock. If it is less than 90, I find that I have severe shoulder squeeze when I try to lie diagonally enough to get a flat lie.

Another thing that I find helpful is to have the foot end between four and eight inches higher than the head end. Unless I'm just using the hammock as a lounger for the afternoon, this helps with balancing my body correctly (I don't float well in water, due to the density of my legs).

Anyway, that's what works for me. It may not for you. All of the usual acronyms apply.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Personal experience

I am a Heavy Hanger, and before I discovered the "30 deg rule" I was hanging my HH very tightly, mostly to overcome the stretch of the nylon (for shame!) tree straps I was using.

What I discovered was:
    1. My bottom entry slit was VERY difficult to operate. Under body weight it was actually difficult to get both legs out of the slit.
    2. I was causing extra stress at the center end of the entry slit. Enough to cause ripping. Not a problem for you though.
    3. The ridgeline was so tight that I snapped it.

I think that hanging it with some sag is the way to go. Forget the instructions and move your tree straps upward to compensate.

Jim

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    There's a "big guy" who's one of the other assistant leaders in my troop. He rigs his explorer "banjo string tight" every time. I've tried to show him how much stress he's putting on the hammock and the trees by doing so but he doesn't want to hear it. His straps are maybe 5' off the ground and he still manages to keep his bottom from touching over a good 18' span. This gives you experienced hangers an idea of how tight I'm talking. Other than breaking his ridgeline or bringing a tree down on his head I don't see any other way to dissuade him from this technique. He's got the idea that tight is good and really tight is better.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    If you start at 30 deg then the wt will take it to more than 30 degrees which will actually reduce the tension on the suspension which may be a good thing for people of size.
    The angle should be sufficient to get he ridgeline just tight enough without drooping. No more, no less.
    -Mark
    the problem with the Hennessy seems to be a fair amount of stretch in the setup. I don't know about other folks but if I don't start at flatter than 30 deg I end up a partial ground sleeper. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I tried hanging the hammock with a little more sag. It was about 30 degrees, maybe a tad more. The ridgeline was still straight as a poker though, and when I was in there, I could hardly flex it at all because it was so tight. Is this a problem? How long should the ridgeline be in an Explorer? Maybe they accidentally tied mine a little shorter than normal?

Chances are that your hammock is fine. I've used some Hennessy hammock model for over 10 years. Trust me, the ridgeline IS part of the structure. It does more than keep the netting off of the user's face. If you saw one taken apart, you would see that the ridgeline ties into the hamock body ends and the hanging lines. The ridgeline basically is a continuation the two hanging lines and sets the "comfort curve" of the hammock body. The user's weight will pull the line taught and straight unless the upright supports are so close together that this feature is defeated. If you feel you have some benefit from hanging this type of hammock with some sag, go for it, but it is not necessary. You do not want to make the hammock too tight, though, because the ridge line can snap.

Relax and enjoy your hammock!
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast