WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    4. I wonder if a couple of continers of moth balls under your hammock would keep them away? Perhaps a couple of sachets of mothballs hung from teh suspension lines?

Jim
    Did I really say "sachet"?
    Good Lord, do they still even sell mothballs!? I know they used to work real well on Skunks. Almost as well as a well placed .22 between the eyes...you sure don't want to miss with a Skunk though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    Animals can smell gun oil. And do you oil the rail on your bow?

Maybe the OP needs a little Remi or Jingaloo oil on him to deter the raccoons!
    I use silicone on the rail of my bow it's odorless. I think gun oil smell will chase off less animals, than the sound of me crying over my rusty gun .
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Take a big dog.
    Or a little one soaked in gun oil !

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    I had to laugh when reading this thread. All the ways to prevent coons from getting to you and your camp and none of them tops what my father pulled off when we were camping in South FL (park name escapes me). After night 1 of a week long family vacation, we woke up to a mess. Obvious from nearby campers, the coons had struck us as their latest victims. Well, Dad was having none of that for the remainder of our vacation. The remedy? Dad bought 2 boxes of prunes and left them out on the table for night #2. After that . . . no racoons for the rest of the trip. My guess is the racoons must have had something else better to do for the remainder of our vacation.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Ber. I was very tough to lose the dog. He was my buddy.

Hammock
    Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    I've hiked/camped plenty in west and the east coast, and the only time i have had a problem with raccoon's was at Devils Lake in Minnesota. These buggers had no fear, were the size of dogs, and we aptly referred to them as "Werecoons". Shortly after our arrival and prior to hanging a bear bag, one ran inches from my friend and stole his plastic spoon and ran off while being chased by four guys. While that was going on, another one tried to drag a toiletries bag from another pack. Mind you, this was around 5pm -- not even dusk yet at the time.

Later that night they more or less stalked us and walked around tents and hammocks but didn't managed to snag anything else.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'd posted this a good while ago in another thread, but it was worth re-posting here:

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    A couple of years ago my family and I were camping out at a place near Colombia, MO. Two tents (one for the wife and I, other for the kids), with my dog in my kid's tent and my brother's dog running patrol around it.

NO FOOD EVER ALLOWED NEAR THE TENTS...EVER!

I wake up at 4am with a raccoon scratching at the netting window inches from my face!!!!!!! When I looked at him, he started this hideous screeching...and still kept trying to get in!!!

I did what any red-blooded man could do...I screamed like a little girl and punched him through the tent wall!!!!

Between my brother's dog and myself we were able to deal with said psycho raccoon...eventually.

You have NO IDEA how much I'm looking forward to sleeping in a hammock going forward....
    We now refer to this episode as "The Battle of Broken Raccoon".

When I first woke with that thing scratching at the tent by my face...I could have sworn he was 6'4", 300lbs, and wearing a football jersey (defense, of course!).

Scared the heck outta me!!!

Trust me...the little guys are up to NO GOOD!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    A few years back while camping in Wisconsin, the ranger mentioned that the coons were very aggressive and persistent because some campers had been hand feeding them. He was right, our first night they were all over us. There was one that was huge, like a freaking dog. No matter how much we yelled at them and threw things at them, they just kept coming back.....well that is until I had had enough and shot one. Hated to do it but at some point it just gets ridiculous. I am not sure if it was the gun oil, the noise or their dead friend but they did not come back to our site that weekend.

FYI....I do not recommend discharging a firearm in a Wisconsin state park.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    FYI, as mentioned above, they can do a LOT of damage.
    Last time I saw my pet coon, he weighed 40 lbs, took on & whupped a 80 Lb German Sheppard, (Dog started the fight, it was a dominance thing) don't think the coon even worked up a sweat. The coon moved out (to one of the further barns) a few weeks later, still played with the Mutt, the Sheppard stayed in the house when the coon visited about once a week for the next year.

Pound for pound, a coon, or just about any wild animal, is MUCH stronger than you are.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Reckon View Post
    You can pour fox urine around around a perimeter and they will generally not enter in as they are afraid of predators.
    How does one harvest fox urine? Do they take regular drug tests and pee in a cup?

Completely unrelated to hammocks but I have a few stories.

A large coon murdered my favorite cat of all time. His name was Gary and he used to sit on a bar stool like a human being. I found him underneath of my vehicle basically gutted one morning. There was raccoon fur everywhere so at least I know he didn't go down without a fight. Right or wrong, I will forever hold any coon I see responsible for the death of Gruesome Gary, the man-cat.

A couple months ago I had to visit a large foundry in the Pittsburgh area to grab a sample of their stormwater runoff. It was probably about 3am (it never storms when convenient) when I walked from my truck towards the river. I passed a large roll-off box containing scrap metal they recycle for use when all of the sudden, the largest coon I had ever seen hopped 5' into the air and on the rim of the roll-off. I was walking by and no more than 10' from this beast. He just glared at me and I'm fairly certain it threw up a gang sign. There was absolutely no fear in this coon and he was large enough to do some serious damage to me. I was on edge the rest of the night.

Just last week I was driving home from work, through rural southwestern PA when a raccoon ran out on to the road directly in front of my car. Needless to say, I accidentally hit the raccoon. It put a 4" long crack in my front bumper and I heard it bounce off of various places under the car. As I look in the rear view mirror, I watched the coon do about 20 barrel rolls and then stand up and run away. How in the....

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast