Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest

Mostly dry and mostly warm.....but

Used my HHED for the fist time on the AT in GA. My setup was a Speer 4x4 with 1/2 pad and wings, 45 degree bag and flecce blanket. I wore long johns. First night at Slaughter Creek campsite temps in low 50's. No issues with staying warm. Unfortunately I have a "3-hour bladder" so up and down alot. I found the full length pad cumbersome getting out the bottom so cut it in half. No issues with warmth remainder that night. I tied my standard tarp to the tree below tree-huggers but tied "sides" to the tree...started pouring early in the morning...result was my left shoulder got a little wet...not to bad. Packed up in the rain so most everything wet. Stopped at Neel's to dry out. At Low Gap the temps got down to 41 degrees. My core was warm but since I cut the pad in half, I found my legs kept getting cold. I wore long johns with watchcap and gloves. I figured out my tarp problem so got it tied correctly...no issues..didn't rain....but think I would have stayed dry this time. Hang at Blue Mountain was uneventful....temps around 50 with light wind.

It was great...loved the hammock....comfortable...it's a keeper!!! But....did I make a mistake by cutting the pad in half? Was I hanging wrong? It just seemed very cumbersome getting out the bottom with the full length pad. Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated. bill

I fold mine up so that I sit on it, and then lift my butt to unfold it. This may not work with thicker pads or SPE. Can't you just toss the rest of the pad under your legs? You would just have a little gap. probably no big deal.

Images
    Yes, it seems you could have just thrown the half you cut off under your cold spots. But I never really had any issues getting out with an SPE and full length pad. True, it's awkward, but no big deal. My pad would be diagonal, so it only covered a small amount of the exit slit any way.

What did you do differently to solve your tarp problem? Were you still tied to the trees?

Images
    If it isn't too cold, I have done fine with a 1/2 to 3/4 length pad in the SPE and a 10"x20" pad in the foot pocket of my sleeping bag/quilt. I use that 10x20 pad with my backpack so I always have it. It stays where you want it pretty well inside the foot pocket. I never really pushed the short pad plus foot pocket approach but I'm guessing the 40F to 50F range because it doesn't cover my full body.

When it starts getting cooler you will want to seal off any air gaps and a full length pad is a nice start.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    When I was using a HH, I would adjust the pad so the left edge of the pad aligned with the right side of the slit in the HH. Then I would sit in the center of the pad and pull my legs up. Worked most of the time. But now I've switched to a Claytor and no longer have that problem.

Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes, it seems you could have just thrown the half you cut off under your cold spots. But I never really had any issues getting out with an SPE and full length pad. True, it's awkward, but no big deal. My pad would be diagonal, so it only covered a small amount of the exit slit any way.

What did you do differently to solve your tarp problem? Were you still tied to the trees?
    I still tied the tarp to the tree below the huggers. BUT...the first night I tied the "sides" of the tarp to the tree....I realized my mistake and got it corrected following nights. No issues with the tarp once I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the inputs and advice...cheers, bill

• + New Posts