Hammock
    Treklight double
    Insulation
    DIY sleeping bag
    Suspension
    metal rings

First time hammock camping

I been hanging around the forum for a couple of months, made a simple gather end hammock to try and get my Boy Scouts interested in getting out of tents. Finial got a chance to try it out this last weekend. Used a old slleping bag and an under quit, the over night temp was about 38 degrees. Had the best and warmest night that I can remember, I am done with tents.

Next month Scout project will be for each Scout to build his own hammock.

Thanks to Shug for all the help I got from your Youtube posts and Dereck Hansen for his book "The Ultimate Hang" , you guys made my life alittle easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A big ol' Whoooooo Buddy to you! Too cool.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Great to hear that. I am very glad you are happy with this form of camping.

I am very thankful for hammocks too every time I set mine up in cool to cold weather (60° to 30°). I get such a great night sleep.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Awesome! I'm glad to hear you had a great night out. I agree: I've slept warmer and more comfortable in a hammock than a tent (I've also slept colder and more miserable too, but those were early on in my hammock relationship)

Sounds like a great group project. I wish I did that back when I was a boy scout.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    Sounds like a great project for your scouts. "Scout type skills" making "scout use" project

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you are a good scout leader. My oldest son was all into scouting, mostly because we had great leaders. He scouted right through high school, and made the Philmont trip, though he never finished his Eagle project.

Then when my youngest son started scouting, we had simply horrible leaders, pompous, rigid fools who were more into the religious/military discipline aspects of scouting, and knew precious little about the outdoors. It seemed like every scout outing was a chance for these incompetent leaders to make a long-winded speech. These "leaders" had a real gift for boring young men out of their minds. When my twelve-year-old son asked to quit scouting, I was truly thrilled because I was ready to quit too!

Recently, as we drove by a place we had camped with the Scouts a few years ago, my son gave me a compliment (I think). He said, "I remember camping there with the Scouts, but that wasn't real camping, not like what I do with you, Dad. You're hard core." It brought a tear to my eye.

I still don't think he's forgiven me for a night canoe excursion earlier this fall on Lake Lila, NY, in the Adirondacks. Something about canoeing at night scared the crap out of him. I think it was the sound of the loons that creeped him out, or it could have been the new moon, and the sheer blackness of the water extending in all directions.

So I like to think that, even though he's no longer Scouting, his dad might be giving him something better. Then again, with the Scout leaders he had, the bar wasn't set very high for me.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Awesome guy. Did you make your own underquilt too, something I've been meaning to do. Hammocks is so comfy I'm not only done with tents, I'm done with beds!

Welcome to the fold.

Now, about those Pop can Alcohol stoves you're supposed to be building right now. Imagine, 30 scouts with scissors, razor sharp pieces of aluminum and fire. Argghh Argghhh Arrrrrrr.

• + New Posts