Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Exclamation Suspension Ideas

I wanted to gather some group input on ideas of how to do up my suspension system.

Hammock : Claytor Jungle /w orignal webbing straps
    Webbing : 50 feet green tubular webbing - 4400 lbs rated
    Rings/Biner: 4 Climbing rating oval biners. 4 Non-Climbing rings
    Ridgeline : 50 foot camo 550 cord, tightened by nite ize figure 9's
    Tarp : Stock Claytor
    Stakes : Gutter Nails

I want a very quick and easy way to adjust for length between the trees. I have already purchased all above equipment, discontinung use of non-climbing rated equip for load bearing. Should be able to span 15 foot+, my hammock need at least 15 feet for a good hang. I want something that take a lot of the knots out of the system so to speak. Thought about tying prussiks in the webbing every so often, and clipping into them...ideas?

Also I want to avoid cutting up my webbing to much. I would like to make just two lengths out of the tubular webbing-25 ft each, possibly replacing the stock claytor webbing.
    Also should have a easy way to attach tarp if possible. Right now using stock claytor cord, with night ize on side tieouts.

Look forward to hearing everyones input/ideas. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If that tubular webbing is nylon, do yourself a favor and replace it with polypro or polyester webbing now. It'll stretch like no one's business, putting your butt right on the ground, literally. And you'l probaby need no more than 12 feet of webbing per side, so you can cut down on the amount of webbing you carry by half or so. Is your ridgeline structural? If it is, the 550 cord probably won't hold for too long, nor witll the figure 9. There have been several reports here of folks snapping 550 cord ridgelines. Not tryin to steal your joy, just sayin'........
    Last edited by Hooch; 05-07-2008 at 15:11.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    Well yes it is nylon it looks just like this webbing.

I do want to say that I've been using stock claytor so far though, and surely this would not have more stretch than that? Claytor stock webbing is tubular nylon too.

I mainly wanted some input of ideas utilizing it. I've read all the posts about ring and cinch buckles.

The ridgeline is purely non-structual. I use it to hang my shoes and stuff on, and to keep the tarp slightly elevated above the bugnet, as well as to support the bug net from. In the past I just run the 550 cord from ring to ring.

If I were to replace the webbing I just bought which is best, the plain poly, seatbelt poly, or polypro webbing? Mainly in regards to abrasion resistance and water wicking.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledgeengine View Post
    Well yes it is nylon it looks just like this webbing.

I do want to say that I've been using stock claytor so far though, and surely this would not have more stretch than that? Claytor stock webbing is tubular nylon too.

I mainly wanted some input of ideas utilizing it. I've read all the posts about ring and cinch buckles.

The ridgeline is purely non-structual. I use it to hang my shoes and stuff on, and to keep the tarp slightly elevated above the bugnet, as well as to support the bug net from. In the past I just run the 550 cord from ring to ring.

If I were to replace the webbing I just bought which is best, the plain poly, seatbelt poly, or polypro webbing? Mainly in regards to abrasion resistance and water wicking.
    That tubing is definitely nylon. Replace it now and forever hold your peace. Nylon webbing is made for climbers and is designed to strech by its very nature. If it were me, I'd go with polypro webbing from Ed Speer or polyester webbing from Strapworks. Personally, I use the Strapworks polyester.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'd get the Strapworks seatbelt webbing. I bought some for Wentworth and shipped it to him in Australia. He paid me of course. Really good looking webbing.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=strapworks
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you're really wanting to replace the webbing, like the others have said, I'd recommend the seatbelt polyester from Strapworks. I really like the simple slings they make from it now.

But, I would like to see you explore the prussik idea you mentioned in the first post. Any new suspension ideas are welcome.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    Well the likelihood of my not doing anything at all with the webbing is slim to none. In my original post I indicated I had already purchased the tubular webbing (50 ft was $17.50). I don't know what I want to do with it for sure. Thread wasn't meant to go off into what to replace what I had just bought at the store with.

And to above posters. As I said I realize what I purchased it nylon. I also realized that at the time of purchase. My stock strap is nylon, and the stretch on it does not bother me, I hang it kinda high, and start out with it very tight. I think if/when I "upgrade" to a no stretch/low stretch polyester it might require I rethink my hanging a little bit.

I mainly was/am looking for any unique ideas on how I might combine the items in the original post together into a working suspension system. Items like cinch buckles or additional rings, biners are okay, but I want to stay with my webbing I just bought for now. At least till I hang using it once at least.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    Well for the time being I have made a zip line inside my apartment out of the 50 foot tubular webbing. I'll post some pictures before I take it down later, but I need to clean up first.

I took the 50 foot and ran it between two structual columns and used a descending ring on the webbing to slide, and a baseball bat for the handle. It is a lot of fun, but it is too short of a zip line. Would be cool to have at a campsite, if I had a lightweight handle.

In all seriousness though, I have done this to help remove some of the initial stretch in the fabric. As everyone has pointed out the nylon stretches, after a few runs down the line it sags, and I tighten it back up.
    Last edited by Knowledgeengine; 05-08-2008 at 13:37.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Remember all this when you give up later and get polyester webbing so we don't have to say we told you so.

Hooch is correct when he says that climber's ropes need to have stretch in them and are designed to do so.
    The stretch is a shock absorber.
    If you fell while climbing and your rope didn't stretch it would snap when suddenly put under load.
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast