PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It's been mentioned a few time, but I guess I wanted to +1 the idea of a longer hammock for you, 8' finished is awfully short, and I'd be a little concerned that you'll be sacrificing some comfort. It's generally accepted that a longer hammock adds to the flatness of the lay. My 2 cents. Awesome shopping list though!
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Roadrunner makes a good point, besides you'll need stuff stacks for all your new gear.

David

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Cost savings is based upon a lot of factors. Not the least of which is your level of skill in both product and process. I personally do not recommend the DIY route solely on the basis of cost savings.

That being said... if cost is taken out of the equation. if you enjoy the project and you have the equipment then by all means go for it. Just count more than the pennies. I've always been disappointed when I figure the project on the sole basis of cost. But I do like to make my own stuff.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I've ordered a down filled pillow from ebay (waiting for it to arrive still) that I plan to use the down to fill both a TQ and UQ. Hard to beat the down per dollar.
    Indeed! A pound of 800 fill for 44 USD, shipping incl.?!
    I'm paying 80EUR for that amount of 700 fill (european rated) from extremtextil.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may also want to keep an eye on eBay for used down sleeping bags. I got a Gerry that weighs about 4 lbs for $35. I also got a Snow Lion bag for $40. I plan to convert them to TQs. Also, check out your local yard sales for down bags or down pillows. You will be surprised the deals you can find.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Definitely 4 yds. for the hammock, even if you decide to cut the fabric at 11' eventually. You're saving significantly by using 1.5 oz and a single layer (smart move, IMO). The nice thing about a gathered end hammock is that it's so easy to modify, i. e. make shorter. You can test shorter lengths before you cut off the excess, too.

Do you have any part-time or extra income source? Eight hours of paid labor might give you the funds to save 20 hours or more of your own time. Just sayin' . I don't want you to miss out on the fun of DIY, just pick the parts that'll give you the most benefit.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    Hammock:
    3yds- 1.5 ripstop (I am 220lbs) -> DIYgearsupply.com= $10.05
    30ft- 7/64 amsteel -> DIYgearsupply.com= $7.50
    20ft- 1" polyester webbing -> DIYgearsupply.com= $8.00
    COMMENT: I don't see a bugnet solution listed. If you don't care about netting that's fine. I just thought I would give a heads up.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
    It's been mentioned a few time, but I guess I wanted to +1 the idea of a longer hammock for you, 8' finished is awfully short, and I'd be a little concerned that you'll be sacrificing some comfort. It's generally accepted that a longer hammock adds to the flatness of the lay. My 2 cents. Awesome shopping list though!
    longer will happen, even if it ends up getting cut shorter eventually. Comfort is definitely a priority! I mean, it is a hammock after all

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Roadrunner makes a good point, besides you'll need stuff stacks for all your new gear.David
    I was going for more of just the setup approach although I will probably just use a compactor bag/pack liner for all my insulation, I assume I will have enough scrap from the extra ripstop to make a bishop bag for my hammock and enough extra no-see-um (see below) for snakeskins/tarp bishop bag

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Cost savings is based upon a lot of factors. Not the least of which is your level of skill in both product and process. I personally do not recommend the DIY route solely on the basis of cost savings.

That being said... if cost is taken out of the equation. if you enjoy the project and you have the equipment then by all means go for it. Just count more than the pennies. I've always been disappointed when I figure the project on the sole basis of cost. But I do like to make my own stuff.
    I already have the sewing machine so cast savings is part of the motivation but I currently live in an apartment so I need something to tinker on to maintain my sanity You know what they say about idle hands

Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    You may also want to keep an eye on eBay for used down sleeping bags. I got a Gerry that weighs about 4 lbs for $35. I also got a Snow Lion bag for $40. I plan to convert them to TQs. Also, check out your local yard sales for down bags or down pillows. You will be surprised the deals you can find.
    I def have the next REI garage sale on my calendar to look for bags to convert, especially since that is the biggest expense of the whole set up. I am not a gram weenie but I certainly am weight conscious and I almost cringe at the though of a bag/TQ being over 2lbs for 3 season.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I don't want you to miss out on the fun of DIY, just pick the parts that'll give you the most benefit.
    No extra income but I was definitely strategic with my Christmas list

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    COMMENT: I don't see a bugnet solution listed. If you don't care about netting that's fine. I just thought I would give a heads up.
    Good point... I like Papa Smurf's bug sock so here goes.
    4 yds nanoseeum from Thru-hiker -> $31.80
    10ft 3/32" shock cord from DIYGS -> $2.00
    (2) cord locks from DIYGS -> $0.46

I think that is about as 3-season as we can get. I have also been thinking about trying to make this as modular as possible to stretch into 4-season. Maybe an IX insert for my UQ or a small GG thinlite pad as well as layering quilts and making a winter sock from 1.1 or another fabric. I will frun some numbers on this and start a "$xxx DIY 4 season set up" thread soon. Thanks for the input guys

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Question where are you getting your materials a friend of mine whose not on the forums is wanting to make a diy setup
    Life is just a tire swing -Jimmy Buffet

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by sawgrassbrothers View Post
    Question where are you getting your materials a friend of mine whose not on the forums is wanting to make a diy setup

From the first post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post

Hammock:
    3yds- 1.5 ripstop (I am 220lbs) -> DIYgearsupply.com= $10.05
    30ft- 7/64 amsteel -> DIYgearsupply.com= $7.50
    20ft- 1" polyester webbing -> DIYgearsupply.com= $8.00

Tarp: (going for something similar to a Big Daddy or Mamba Jamba
    7yds- 1.1 silnylon 2nds -> DIYgearsupply.com= $38.50
    3yds- 1/2" grosgain -> DIYgearsupply.com= $0.84
    6 linelocs -> DIYgearsupply.com= $1.64

UQ: (will be upgraded to down eventually. Wife will inherit this one)
    4yds- 1.1 ripstop -> DIYgearsupply.com= $12.80
    2yds- 5.0 oz ClimaSheild Apex -> Thru-hiker.com= $31.90
    25ft- 1/8" shockcord -> DIYgearsupply.com= $6.25

TQ
    kit from Thru-hiker.com= $159.95

100ft of Zing-it for guylines and ridgelines from outdoortrailgear.com= $22.00

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast