WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Daylodge Group CampgroundThis camp is located near the Hopewell Day Lodge on Middletown Rd. off of Clarksville Rd. This is a primitive camp with no bathroom and FREE of charge. I'll go look at this this weekend.

Horseman's Group Campground
    The Horseman's Group Camp is located near the Horseman's Campground on Furnas-Oglesby Road. A pit latrine is available and horses are welcome. There is a picnic table and fire ring. No Electric. Fee is $75.00 per night.
    (this is the area where a hunter found a body last week)

Hickory Overlook & Cedar Point Group Camps
    These two camps are located in the Fifty Springs Picnic area. There is a Shelter with picnic tables, fire ring and a flush restroom. No Electric.
    Fee is $75.00 per night. I wouldn't recomend this area as it is known to be frequented by men looking for "illicit activity".

Wellman Meadows Group Camp
    This camp is located off Oregonia Rd. near the Wellman Boat Ramp. There is a Shelter with picnic tables, fire ring and a flush restroom. No Electric. A pit latrine is also close by to the camp. Fee is $75.00 per night.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Daylodge Group CampgroundThis camp is located near the Hopewell Day Lodge on Middletown Rd. off of Clarksville Rd. This is a primitive camp with no bathroom and FREE of charge. I'll go look at this this weekend.

The Horseman's Group Camp is located near the Horseman's Campground on Furnas-Oglesby Road. A pit latrine is available and horses are welcome. There is a picnic table and fire ring. No Electric. Fee is $75.00 per night.

These two camps are located in the Fifty Springs Picnic area. There is a Shelter with picnic tables, fire ring and a flush restroom. No Electric.
    Fee is $75.00 per night. I wouldn't recomend this area as it is known to be frequented by men looking for "illicit activity".

This camp is located off Oregonia Rd. near the Wellman Boat Ramp. There is a Shelter with picnic tables, fire ring and a flush restroom. No Electric. A pit latrine is also close by to the camp. Fee is $75.00 per night.
    Thanks for taking a look Mike.

I don't know the locations of any of this stuff I just gave the park a call to get some info.

Some of these sound promising. Let us know what you come up with.

I'm always down for Zaleski. There is also Tar Hollow (which I believe the primitive sites are free, there's room for about 15-20 people between the 10 campsites and surrounding woods, back by the firetower.

I've also never been to Shawnee State Forest but have heard good things.

I also enjoyed the Wildcat Hollow hang last feb, nice little trail as well, thought the parking situation was less than desirable, I'm in a much lighter pack now, so not too worried about it

Where are most people coming from? What looks to be the most central area, SW, S, W, SE?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I will even do a video of my scout out. Plan on headin out there saturday.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Dominating Duke :)

I would like to join you guys when you get a place in mind. I have done the shawnee trail... its pretty tough though if you guys are looking for a nice and easy hang. I really like Zaleski and Wildcat been to each of those places multiple times in fact i use wild cat when introducing girlfriends to my world of packing ha! I have yet to go to Tar Hollow but have a friend that swears that is his favorite place in Ohio to go. Keep me posted on dates!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Traveler
    Tarp
    OES Custom 12 x 10
    Insulation
    Custom Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing...for now
    I also hear Shawnee is a rough hike, and if we're trying to be inclusive and get some folks out there, it's probably not the the best (or the worst) option.

Wildcat is definitely a decent place to hang, but we may be in for a very muddy hike into camp in the springtime (every time Tendertoe and I have been there we've trucked it half a mile through the muck). Another disadvantage is having to hike in your own water - as there's no water source nearby.

I'm interested to hear about Caesar Creek - we've never camped there...sounds like there might be some decent group camping there

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    There is a parking lot at the Daylodge and a water spigot. There is a nice size field for tents so it all hinges in space for us hammock types.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Not sure where the free goup site is at Caeser Creek But it's in my area, I'll check it out. As far as raffle stuff goes I feel it should be a casual bring an item and your name goes in the hat. No money or restrictions on what the item should be except dont bring an UQ if you are not prepared to get a homemade alchohol stove. I've done the loop hike there. Eric, if you have any info on the location of the group spot is let me know.
    Sounds Great HamMike, and you doing a video would be a lot of fun! Make sure there is plenty of parking too.

As for the raffle, there are benefits to how many do it. The price is to help pay for the site if it is a pay for site. Then, if there is extra made in the raffle, most of the big group type hangs will give that to the park or an activity of that park in a donation from the group. We had some great group meals at the Grayson Highlands hang, but it became so big that extra food was needed and some of the money went back to that purchase before the extra was donated. It's really a win, win situation.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I'm always down for Zaleski. There is also Tar Hollow (which I believe the primitive sites are free, there's room for about 15-20 people between the 10 campsites and surrounding woods, back by the firetower.

I've also never been to Shawnee State Forest but have heard good things.

I also enjoyed the Wildcat Hollow hang last feb, nice little trail as well, thought the parking situation was less than desirable, I'm in a much lighter pack now, so not too worried about it

Where are most people coming from? What looks to be the most central area, SW, S, W, SE?

Zeleski is a great hanging spot (definately plenty of room for hammocks); but parking lacks with all those that use the parking lot. The trail head is difficult to find for many also.

Keep in mind, we want to keep this easy, so everyone who wants to join can, and those from other states can come in too. Planning ahead, and getting things together can cause this to grow substantially in attendance.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Wow! Your on a roll.

Our parks here are full of "those type of men" and they don't like to be seen by many, so a group hang and full parking lot would cause them to run . As a matter of fact, just one person walking around with a camera around their neck works to scare them off (what can I say, it's my Social Work background, I know more than I should or even want to....yuck). Anyways, if that park matches our needs, I wouldn't be scared of it, but hopefully we'll find something different.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast