Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hi Guys! been out of pocket for a little while. I live pretty (actually very) close to Diva. Dillon State Park is east of Columbus about an hour and a half. As I recall there are ample trees and it's pretty cheap (if not free) to camp. I have a free day tomorrow (Mommy has to work tomorrow and My mother is farmed out to my Brother in Chicago) :-) I will make a trip over and scope the place out.
    Last edited by wi1ecoyote; 12-01-2011 at 22:06.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If I can, and if you guys don't mind, I could turn this into a scout demonstration to show the boys people other than scouts go camping a lot. That might open up possibilities on a scout camp!
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Zeleski is a great hanging spot (definately plenty of room for hammocks); but parking lacks with all those that use the parking lot. The trail head is difficult to find for many also.

Keep in mind, we want to keep this easy, so everyone who wants to join can, and those from other states can come in too. Planning ahead, and getting things together can cause this to grow substantially in attendance.
    I know it's usually packed but that whole area (OMC, Zaleski, Conkles) really clears out when it gets cold. I don't for-see parking to be an issue at Zaleski during the time we'd be there, but I'm down with keeping it towards out western buddies too.. go with the flow

There's also some great areas over by Paint Creek and Rocky fork but there's not a lot in the way of hiking I found, but right ont he edge of the appalachian plateau you have great scenery and rocky outcroppings and well as rivers and streams.. Anyone know of any state parks in that area instead of the normal KOA type campgrounds?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I like the option of day hikes, but hikes being an option (or I would have joined a hiking group). I think our excitement has just allowed us to go, when we actually need to hear from bigbogg the OP to chime in on what he had in mind.
    Everyone's idea of a big group hang is different. Mine is more family friendly, welcome to all, and ease of use for the young and old, handicap-able or the strapping strong and keeping it with the interest of hammocking.

Banned
    Hammock
    WBB 1.7 Double,DIY traveler
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Diva I think you have the idea of what I was looking at doing. Sorry I have not chimed in I just got started back to work on light duty. And have been up to my eye balls in paperwork at work. I think what I want to see is a more of a gathering of family and friends. If we can work it out so that folks that want to hike can that would be great. I would be ok with where ever we can get folks together. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for pulling together to work on this. Now let’s start kicking around some dates for this. Any thoughts peep?

Bigbogg
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I like the option of day hikes, but hikes being an option (or I would have joined a hiking group). I think our excitement has just allowed us to go, when we actually need to hear from bigbogg the OP to chime in on what he had in mind.
    Everyone's idea of a big group hang is different. Mine is more family friendly, welcome to all, and ease of use for the young and old, handicap-able or the strapping strong and keeping it with the interest of hammocking.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1ecoyote View Post
    If I can, and if you guys don't mind, I could turn this into a scout demonstration to show the boys people other than scouts go camping a lot. That might open up possibilities on a scout camp!
    Yes there are some gorgeous scout camps....Falling Rock has some great scenery and options of hikes with points of interest. I don't know how any of this would work. A demonstration, I don't have a problem with, and I'm sure many here would jump at the opportunity to show off their knowledge and to teach. With that said, I wouldn't want it to turn into being responsible for a "scout camp out" though. There is even the chance of building membership to the hammock forums with the parents....but I'm a bit hesitant with this. Probably just because I don't understand the implications of the suggestion.

Thanks for heading to Dillon for us. Let us know what the park says, if there is plenty of hanging area (I know trees are abundance, but are there too many), parking, if they even have a decent group area, cost, when they open in the spring, and if they'll take reservations. HamMike is also doing some scouting of some camps for us, so once we pull the information together we'll be able to go from there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbogg View Post
    Diva I think you have the idea of what I was looking at doing. Sorry I have not chimed in I just got started back to work on light duty. And have been up to my eye balls in paperwork at work. I think what I want to see is a more of a gathering of family and friends. If we can work it out so that folks that want to hike can that would be great. I would be ok with where ever we can get folks together. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for pulling together to work on this. Now let’s start kicking around some dates for this. Any thoughts peep?

Bigbogg
    That's perfectly fine. I just felt that we needed your input since you started the ball rolling Why don't you just pick a spring month and weekend. Trying to match everyone's schedule is impossible, plus having it this far in advance allows for those who want to attend to arrange things with their employer and/or to simply mark on their calendars so they can schedule other activities around the camp.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am just sitting back and observing.......

What you all decide upon is fine. I will do my best to attend, and a "hang" is fine with me. I'll bring my folding rocker for campfire sitting.

Jim

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    What you all decide upon is fine. I will do my best to attend, and a "hang" is fine with me. I'll bring my folding rocker for campfire sitting.

Jim
    It would be nice to have you there! We'll get it sorted out eventually Once we get further along, we may have scratch this thread and add a link to cleaner thread. I can't imagine what it must be like for someone just finding this and trying to figure it all out...to only realized it's not figured out yet

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Working with a Scout outing we would be like a exhibit. Kids would come in and see our rigs and incorporate ideas into their rigs. There is a big interest in low to no impact and hyperlighting so I am sure they would get a charge out of it.

Also, Last year we were able to lock down Horns Hill for the Spring Camp-o-Ree and we had a number of outside organizations come and set up all over the hill. I helped with the hammock exhibit. We just set up 5 types of hammocks and let the kids look, but there was tremendous interest. Parks and Rec. are very keen to get more usage of the city parks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast