WBB 1.7 Double,DIY traveler
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Talking Spring Ohio hang planning. ( The Bigbogg's Back is better hang)

Ok guys I have not been able to hammock overnight since I had my back surgery. I am itching for a hang. I will not be able to until spring. So here is what I want to do. I have not been able to attend a group hang and would like to. I am asking for some help to plan an Ohio group hang. I am new to this and want to do it right so any help from members that have planned these in the past would be great. Also anyone from the area that would like to plan this please jump in. Should be up and ready for this early spring. Would love to get this to be a yearly event. Would love to get some stuff together for some giveaways aswell. So shot me some ideas and let’s get this planned.

Bigbogg

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I'm interested!

I have never been able to make an Ohio hang, usually for work-related reasons. But I am looking at a change in employment status (as in retiring) so I should have more leeway in scheduling trips.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Hey Bigbogg,

Thinking about ideas for give aways, you might do a fun DIY sort of thing or possibly a momento like a ridgeline flag with a hokey looking graphic about Ohio hangers. Inkjet iron on transfer stuff is easy to do. You get the idea.

David

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    These are all good ideas. I am hoping we will have a good turnout. I would like to meet some Ohio hangers and get some pointers.

Bigbogg

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Hey Bigbogg,

Thinking about ideas for give aways, you might do a fun DIY sort of thing or possibly a momento like a ridgeline flag with a hokey looking graphic about Ohio hangers. Inkjet iron on transfer stuff is easy to do. You get the idea.

David

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    yes, yes, yes, yes!!! Perhaps we'll have a hang like the other states do...fingers crossed.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am going to try but this is a big thing to plain anyone that would like to help plan this please let me know. I will take any help or tips you all would like to offer would be great.

Bigbogg

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    yes, yes, yes, yes!!! Perhaps we'll have a hang like the other states do...fingers crossed.

I'm glad that your recovery is going well and you'll soon be back to doing everything you enjoy.

I;m so new to hanging that my first thought was - oooh, how about a whoopie sling workshop! and prussiks and soft shackles and tying an adjustable ridgeline ,,,and my list could go on for awhile. But I realize that all that is probably not as appealing to experienced hangers.

So basica,,y, I've got nothing for you but I'll sure try to attend.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by rtramseyer View Post
    I'm glad that your recovery is going well and you'll soon be back to doing everything you enjoy.

I;m so new to hanging that my first thought was - oooh, how about a whoopie sling workshop! and prussiks and soft shackles and tying an adjustable ridgeline ,,,and my list could go on for awhile. But I realize that all that is probably not as appealing to experienced hangers.

So basica,,y, I've got nothing for you but I'll sure try to attend.
    But it's those experienced hangers that teach the others, most love the opportunity to show off their skills.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    As for planning....

Raffles are great to help pay for a group site and whatever other expenses are put forward. Everyone can bring something to put into the raffle, can be home made but has to be hammock camping related.

A deposit is made on a group site. Money is given back with the raffle ticket purchases. Raffle tickets are usually sold for $10 each.

This kind of advanced planning will bring people. It must be put on the calendar on the home page for others to know about along with a thread started and titled correctly.

Need to find a group site that has enough hanging options and is easily accessible....this is the big part and has ample parking. Once that is in place, everything else will fall in line and happen pretty easily.

It would be nice to be more central....so it's easier for everyone to come, but I don't know any place that is centrally located the fits the criteria. Geauga Park district has some nice options...the Chickagami park is nice, but not centrally located. You can drive up to the sites there and drop of your stuff, then park in the parking lot. Site J is very large, lots and lots of trees and a nice open area for everyone to gather, but is not technically a "group site" so a call would have to be made. The "group" sites don't have the trees that are needed. If we would be allowed to spread out or reserve a couple of sites, it would be nice. Free camping for county residence, only $20 for non county. The parking lot is plenty big. (scouts get priority though, so that could be tricky with reservations)

Anyone here live in the Geauga area?

Anyone able to stake out some of the state parks and look over their group sites, availability of tress, parking, and costs?

I don't live all that too far from Dillon if someone wants me to check that out. If I remember correctly, parking could be an issue there, unless they've made some changes. Great option for day hikes though if they have an area for hammockers.

What kind of help do you need with planning? I don't want to step on toes, and don't know where your heading, what you have in mind, what type of hammock camping your looking at and so on? If your looking for a hike in and hang, we have a few Ohio people here that would be great to help with that and are very familiar with many of those areas....I'm not one of those. If you would like a few of us to help put a deposit down on a group site, I know many of us would do....keeping in mind with the raffle everyone gets paid back anyways.

Let us know more of what your looking for and needing help with, and as you know, the hammock community will come together to help.
    Last edited by DivaB; 11-22-2011 at 09:31.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    This sounds like a good time.

Caesar Creek State Park, in Wilmington, has primitive group camps available (latrines but no electric).

They can be reserved starting January 1st.

All of their group camp areas are located within the state park and are wooded.

They can accomodate "up to 50" people" don't know if that means they have 100 sets of trees 15 feet apart

I just spoke with someone at the park office. They have 1 group site that is free of charge, the rest are $75 per night.

If you are looking for a slight hike in there are plenty of opportunities in other locations (Zaleski, Wildcat Hollow, etc).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast