Closed cell mats and damp backs

Hi all,

I used to hang around here a bit but haven't visited in a while.

So two and a half years after it's purchase I still own my Warbonnet Blackbird and I still love it to bits, hanging still feels so much more comfortable than camping rightfully ought to be.

Being a city boy who doesn't drive sadly I don't get out to camp as much as I'd like, but when I do it's always a pleasure. This weekend just gone I was able to camp two nights on Exmoor and naturally it was a comfortable experience and I was perfectly warm. However I did encounter one slight issue.

This was the first time I've used a closed cell mat as under insulation rather than an open cell. I've used a Thermarest ( well, a Kathmandu branded equivilent ) in the past, placed between the Blackbird's two floor layers. This has always worked pretty well, the closed cell mat was predictably warmer which is welcome in November. However both mornings I woke up with a slightly damp back. Not that I noticed when I was in my sleeping bag and it didn't interfere with my sleep or comfort, but upon exiting in the morning I noticed the bottom of my bag was a bit moist.

I do not recall this happening with my open cell mat. I'm guessing it must be something to do with breathability, or lack of it with the closed cell.

Anyone else had a similar experience? And a solution?!

Thanks,

Ian

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    Yep, CCF pads are a vapour barrier which seem to affect people differently, some are fine and some end up with a bit of dampness. I cover my pad with a poncho liner which seems to help a lot. Ideally I am going to end up with a nice UQ next spring which will sidestep the problem completely.

• + New Posts