DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB

Suspension Noobie?

Hello all! I'm sure this same question has been asked a million times and that there are at least that many if not more answers to the question.

I have looked at some of the suspension systems out there and I really don't know what I'm looking at (if that makes sense). I understand how most of them work but I'm not sure which I should go with.

Whoopie slings intrigue me, but I'm not sure that I could make one with acceptable results. I'm sure I could but, I guess I'm intimidated by them for some reason.

I've looked at some straping suspension systems, but there too I'm not really sure what I'm looking at as far as ease of use strength etc.

So here is where I'm calling on the league of hammock folk here to help me out. My hammock is a stock GT UL. I have only hung in it once for about 5 minutes (very hectic schedule right now, but that is going to change in about 3 weeks and I'd like to get this thing put together then). When I used it that one time it was with racthet straps and they worked ok BUT I would liek to have a system that weighs 1/4 of what they do if you know what I mean.

I was thinking about using a strap system that utilaizes double D rings on either end to adjust the overall length of the hammock, etc. but I'm not sure how to best accomplish this. Is a system like this designed to be one continuous strap, around the tree then back to the hammock where it can be adjusted there? Is there usually a strap around just the tree that the hammock suspension then ties into? I've never been able to make it to any group hangs so I have not seen any of thisin action other than here on the forum. So I'm kind of drawing stick figures in my head if you know what I mean.

So what do you think? I would be greatful if anyone can link me to a good thread about this topic, or youtube videos, etc. As always any and all input is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hi there lostinthewuds,

This is a constant question here - especially with so many choices and variants to choose from. Kind be overwhelming at times for sure. Personally I use whoopie slings for my Grand Trunk. Now I made mine myself but you can get a set for decent pricing from a number of vendors here on the forum. Hammock gear and Arrowhead equipment are two off the top of my head. I also think there is a Black Friday Sale at another currently so check the Other Vendors forums or the sale forum.

Otherwise, take a look here at JustJeff's website and you can have your answer regarding the rings and the straps. I have used this as well and it does work great.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps

NK Outdoors Sale

NK Outdoors is having a sale right now. I have some of their whoopies and they are great. I have the all in one system, and love it.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewuds View Post
    Whoopie slings intrigue me, but ...
    Intimidated by Whoopie slings? Try this for a simple and inexpensive alternative.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Thanks for all the info. I checked out the NK outdoors site and found this.

Now my little brain is running overtime. Do you think that the above set up would work for my hammock? Is there anything else that you can think that I may need? I was thinking that I may add a extra 10-12' length of 1" webbing to help in case I need extra length.

The double descending rings are pretty slick too.

Man now I really can't decide.

thanks again,
    lost
    Last edited by lostinthewuds; 11-21-2011 at 22:46. Reason: brain fart
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    You've seemed to change from a webbing system to a rope system. Basically, you can't go wrong with the suspension you use. There might be better options, but no wrong way, at least with the ways that are mentioned on this forum.

With a rope system, you should use some webbing to wrap around the tree. With a webbing system, you don't need that extra piece of webbing. Your suspension webbing will become the tree huggers.

Each system has its pros and cons. Only you can decide which way is best for you. For example, MacEntyre showed the way he likes to do it. Just a strap wrapped around a tree and tied in a knot. It is a very simple method with no hardware.

For me, that would not be the best system. Too bulky, higher weight and lack of ease of adjustment. Ease of adjustment is a major factor, so if I went with the pure strap system, I would use some hardware, maybe a triglide for the adjustment. I would add more weight and bulk for ease of adjustment.

I am more inline with the link you showed. I like the whoopie sling suspension and am starting to play around with a no hardware version. It packs small, light weight and very easy to adjust.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The system you are looking at is plenty long enough but if you wanted to add length, another few feet per side would do. Extra suspension length is necessary for two reasons. Either your trees are far apart or the trees themselves are very large in diametre. Most people here get by with 12 to 15 feet per end but if you know the trees in your area you can adjust this.

Many systems will work for your hammock. Whoopie slings are popular because they reduce weight and bulk. If you are not a gram weenie and these factors are not an issue, then full webbing and cinch buckles are about the easiest suspension IMO.

You may also want to look into a way to quickly connect the webbing to the trees. You can always just feed the webbing through the end loop which requires no hardware. Climbing rated carabiners are quick and easy and in the case of webbing and cinch buckles, would allow you to leave the suspension attached to the hammock. For weight saving, a Dutch biner or nacrabiner can be used in the same way.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewuds View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I checked out the NK outdoors site and found this.

Now my little brain is running overtime. Do you think that the above set up would work for my hammock? Is there anything else that you can think that I may need? I was thinking that I may add a extra 10-12' length of 1" webbing to help in case I need extra length.

The double descending rings are pretty slick too.

Man now I really can't decide.

thanks again,
    lost
    That is a great way to start. You have to start somewhere, and that is a good one. Go for it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Well I think I have decided what I'm going to do. I even made a trip to Jo Ann fabric to buy the supplies for the testing. I'll have to go back once I get another 40% off coupon.

Also made a trip to Lowe's and bought 2 1" welded steel rings. I know they are heavier than the aluminium descending rings but they were only 78 cents each.

Anyway, here's the plan. I'm going to get about 10 yards of 1" polypro webbing from Jo Ann's. I'm going to sew loops in one end of the webbing. This end will serve as my tree strap, just passing the tail through the loop to secure it. I think this will save needing to tie a knot or have a mechanical fastener either. Then the tail end will then pass through the double ring buckle to tension the hammock. Sounds simple enough in my mind that I can make it work. No knots, no muss no fuss.

The double rings will be attached to the hammock with a double sewn peice of webbing. They will remain on the hammock all the time but the long straps probably will not.

So does this sound like it will work? Thanks for all the help! Once I get started on this project I'll be sure to post pics, although I'm sure you've all seen some like them before.

Thanks,
    lost

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    If this is the way you're doing it, then the long straps certainly won't remain attached to the hammock (unless you can reach over the top of the tree and drop the loop over it ). You'll have to take the straps out of the rings in order to get one end through the other to attach or remove it. No big problem though.

If you really want to leave it all attached, you'll need to get a couple of carabiners as well, so you can just clip the strap to itself after passing it around the tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast