Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

DIY Tyvek Winter Tarp Project - Suggestions, tips?

Looking for some advice on Tyvek tarp construction. I recently found a 27 ft. length of Tyvek in my garage. For some reason it was cut irregularly on one side (maybe it was a 10' wide roll, but the piece is effectively 55" to 56" inches wide.

So here's my idea:

1. I'm looking for a winter tarp pattern and the Winter Dream looks like it might work with modifications:

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/a...otoid=68365472

First off, I don't think Tyvek needs a cat cut so I'll skip that. Second, my tarp will end up 110" wide rather than 120", so there's five inches less coverage on each side. It's still plenty big with lots of coverage, especially since I'm skipping the cat cut.

Can anyone suggest a better pattern? I really want doors.

2. I planned on overlaying the two lengths of Tyvek about 2" at the ridgeline, then using Tyvek tape to tape the two pieces together. So now my tarp width is down to 106" or seven inches shorter on each side. Does anyone think I don't need the overlay and can just tape the two seams together?

3. If I really REALLY wanted a 10' wide tarp, I do have an additional 7' x 7' piece of Tyvek that I could cut into seven inch strips, then tape them to increase the width. However, I don't particularly like this idea.

4. For tie-outs, I was going to use 1.75 mm Zing-It loops. Since I was planning on reinforcing the tie-out areas anyway, I thought, why not just bury Zing-It loops between the reinforcing tape and the Tyvek? To increase resistance, I thought of putting knots in the Zing-It so the tape has something to grab onto rather than just the slick Zing-It.

I considered using grosgrain loops, but the Zing-It is plenty strong and much more lightweight.

5. I plan two pull-outs per side, again using knotted Zing-It with Tyvek tape reinforcement. Tarp guy lines could attach to the pull-outs and tie-outs with a simple larkshead knot.

6. Since it's a winter tarp, I'm probably not going to paint it or dye it. This is strictly for winter use.

7. Much as I hate the tarp laying on the ridgeline, I think it's too complicated to put external loops on the ridgeline to suspend the tarp below the ridgeline. The Tyvek should be plenty robust to take a little friction rubbing on the ridgeline. The center ridgeline will have a Zing-It loop at each end with a prusik for tensioning.

Any suggestions from HF before I embark on this project?

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    i'm excited to see this.

Images
    Is it that plain ol' tyvek home wrap? That stuff is garbage. It's one thing to use as ground cloth, but not a tarp. That just seems like a lot of work for something that'll quickly fall apart. I've worked with Tyvek for many years, suits and home wrap, and I would never use it on my own house.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Is it that plain ol' tyvek home wrap? That stuff is garbage. It's one thing to use as ground cloth, but not a tarp. That just seems like a lot of work for something that'll quickly fall apart. I've worked with Tyvek for many years, suits and home wrap, and I would never use it on my own house.
    Fallkniven - I am sure there are plenty on HF that would disagree with your opinion on Tyvek as tarp. My own experience leads me to believe that it will do fine as a tarp. I've been using a 7' x 7' ft. piece of Tyvek as a tarp for my gear and it has been through some real storms - my gear has never gotten wet.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    guess it's all based on what you like or don't like, but my Hex Tyvek tarp rocks it. Shoulda saved the corners for doors, but I have a 12 Kelty for my winter tarp.... my Ty tarp has done me well, in up to 35mph winds, no issues.

Used Tyvek tape to tape the D-Rings to the 6 corners, and I have run the RL under the tarp, so far no damage. And if it does, Ill make another... can't beat the redneck factor, AND thats what keeps a Kentucky boy goin.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Is it that plain ol' tyvek home wrap? That stuff is garbage.
    Its actually not that bad, and there are quite a few tarps here on HF made from it. I think if it was garbage we'd have heard by now. Its pretty tough stuff, tougher than it appears to be at first glance.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37680

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This also begs the question, Fallkniven - what would you use on your own house if not Tyvek? Typar? Just curious.

I have various Tyvek things in my camping kit that have been used for years and none of it is falling apart. It's darn near indestructible from my experience. I can see how the Cuben fiber weenies might think that silnylon and polyurethane tarps are garbage too, but there are a bunch of people using them, staying dry, and enjoying the piney woods.

Images
    It's just what I've seen. I'm mean it's paper. I've seen it degrade quickly, and the weave separate easily. Like I said, it's paper. Other forms of tyvek tear if you look at it too hard like a tyvek suit. Hey, if it works for you guys thats great. I just wouldn't trust it myself from my experience with it. I wouldn't say any of the common materials are garbage, but a paper tarp I just don't see lasting for any considerable time. And no I wouldn't use it on a home. Besides it's lack of durablilty, when nailed and stapled through, your left with exposed sheathing, as opposed to tar paper which
    seals around the roofer better. Just my opinion.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's just what I've seen. I'm mean it's paper.
    Paper is usually made from wood or cotton. But Tyvek, according to Wikipedia, is "flashspun high-density polyethylene fibers, a synthetic material. The material is very strong; it is difficult to tear but can easily be cut with scissors or a knife. Water vapor can pass through Tyvek (highly breathable), but not liquid water, so the material lends itself to a variety of applications."

That doesn't sound like paper to me.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Silvrsurfr,

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I've got an 8' wide x 12' long piece to make a winter tarp, and some pieces to close off the ends (very important cold weather factor) but, have not started it yet. I am going to run the stuff through a wash cycle at a laundry mat to soften. An experimental piece softened up real good, and, is easier to sew. (and quieter) Wish there was some way to dye or paint it a little to make it more camo. Since it is strictly for winter/snow use, I'm not too worried about it being absolutely water proof. I weighed a square yard,....... that is, a piece 3 feet x 3 feet, 9 square feet exactly, and it weighed 2 oz. Not bad, and it folds up real small too.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast