I'm new to the DIY world and sewing for that matter, but I'd have to say I'm catching on fairly quickly. I made a DIY hammock out of 1.5oz ripstop nylon and I'm noticing that the nylon is starting to rip along the thread. I'm using Gutermann Tera Thread. Ultra High Strength. 50 Tex. With about 8-10 stitches per inch. My stitches appear to be at the proper tension on both sides. The thread is holding up fine, but the nylon is starting to rip in several places. It's still holding me fairly well, but this is a major concern.

What could I be doing wrong? I read an article that suggested the needle size I should use, I will confirm the number needle at lunch. Should I put more/less stitches per inch? Am I using the wrong thread? (The thread isn't ripping) What on earth is going on? The fact that I put 3 hems (at least 1/4" apart) along the channel for support means nothing when the nylon supporting my weight is ripping.

I have a hammock made of 1.1 and it's not doing this, so I'm doing something wrong, but my stitching looks almost identical to that on the grand trunk.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

-JBizzle