Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I'm just worried that I'm paying for information that can be obtained for free elsewhere on the internet. Is the info on the site worth the $25?
    I could read it from Tim's link, but I am a member. In fact, I have read it before. I really debated renewing this year, but I did. Their reviews and info are pretty thorough and unique. Though pretty much biased towards the extreme gram weenie for sure. But for example, the very article being referred in this thread. Quite comprehensive.

But I don't think you will find the equivalent of most of their info free on the internet. You can get a lot of info from places like HF, but mainly from wading through the opinions of many different folks each often favoring a different piece of equipment. Very useful, particularly for hammock specific stuff, but.......

For example, their comparative tests of gas canister stoves in several different simulated conditions ( wind vs calm, etc). Then breaking it down to weight per cup boiled, either counting stove and fuel weight, or that plus pot weight. Then maybe comparing to carrying an alcohol stove and fuel for 1 day vs 7. Or carbon monoxide output of different stoves. That sort of thing, very thorough and detailed, and I've never seen such elsewhere.

Oops, I see Tim pretty much already said the above!

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Doing that w/o permission is stealing their copyrighted info. BPL is one of the few (or maybe the only) backpacking site where the staff writes technical reviews but doesn't accept advertising that might sway their conclusions. I wouldn't want to hurt the membership there by posting something we haven't paid for.

I know that's only a little bit different from the email link they have, but still...it's their material and they decided on the link.

But seriously, the membership there is worth it. It's like $2 a month, plus you get discounts on their gear that will easily add up to $25 with one good order a year. And how many halfway good magazines can you get for $2? I let my membership expire but I plan on renewing once I get settled in here.

With so many sites offering it for free and others just asking for a donation I was frustrated with BPL as you subscribe and have to donate $30 just to read the articles that "appear" to simmilar to Backpacker.... Your post is a rare posisitive "gee sign up" that I have never seen before.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    It's worth pointing out that this thread was dead for 34 months before it got bumped...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It's worth pointing out that this thread was dead for 34 months before it got bumped...
    How the heck did 34 months go by since this thread ended!

Ewker raises the dead!

FWIW, I subscribed last year for $14. I had a subscription, but let it expire. About 1-2 months later they offered me a 1 year deal for $14.

That said, it is worth $25 if you are in any way into lightweight and/or ULW hiking. The articles and information are nothing like those in Backpacker magazine.

The worst thing about bpl.com is their forums. Why they couldn't use a php forum is beyond me. It makes it so difficult to follow threads. The biggest problem they have with their forum software is that they let you change the subject of your responses. And those subjects appear when you search for new posts. Making it nearly impossible to track a thread.

Ex. Thread original title "Whoopie Slings Rock". Later Bob replies to the same thread but changes his response's title to "Yes, I agree". Now when you scan for new posts, you see one titled "Yes, I agree". Stupid. Royally stupid. Frankly, if they ever had real forum software there would be a good chance they would be "The" single source of backpacking information on-line.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - their info is good but I never renewed my membership. Probably b/c I was too busy with work to do online backpacking as much as I did when I made that post. Still, their info is good. Eventually some of it will trickle onto the other backpacking forums, but it's nice to have it quickly, and all in one place. For what's still the cost of a magazine a month, it's not that bad. People just don't like paying for stuff anymore b/c so much of the internet is free. (HF gets by pretty well on donations and volunteers, though.)

But BPL's forums are very difficult to use. I started a thread one time asking why they didn't use vBulletin style (like this one) and no one responded.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    perhaps they were embarassed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Ewker raises the dead!
    leave it to me to cause problems on here. Guess that will get me on somemore folks ignore list
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    That said, it is worth $25 if you are in any way into lightweight and/or ULW hiking. The articles and information are nothing like those in Backpacker magazine.

I think my post that bumped this back to the top was missed. BPL is now offering a Lifetime membership for 100.00 (members) or 110.00 (non-members)

I agree nothing like Backpacker magazine...speaking off the old issues (1970's and up) are now available online. Talk about a different magazine. Makes you wish they would go back to that type of magazine. Oh and the ads are great..lol
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast