ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

New Forum Feature - Tags

Hello everyone.

As some of you have noticed, with the recent forum update there have been a number of new features added to the forum. One of the best and most powerful new features is called 'tags'. To make this feature successful, we need your help!

Tags are a way to improve our ability to search the forum and all the threads it contains. This is done by associating certain key descriptive words with a thread so that it will be displayed when a search is done for that term. As the number of tagged threads grows, our ability to search through the information, and to organize it in different ways, will grow immensely.

Tags are added in two ways, and they can be contributed to by any registered user! Everyone should participate.

The first way to add tags is when creating a new thread. Just below the message text window is a 'Tags text box'. This is where you can type in descriptive words that sum up what the new thread is about. For instance, for a new thread about ridge line cording, appropriate tags might be 'cord, rope, ridge line, suspension'. You can add up to 5 tags when creating the thread.

screenshot_01.jpg

Tags aren't limited to being added when a thread is created, though! We all know that the conversation in a given thread can tend to evolve and grow, and as that happens new tags can be added to encompass the expanded topic of the conversation. Again, anyone can help to add the tags! At the bottom of every thread, just above the reply window, is a small field containing all the tags that are associated with that thread. To add new tags, you just click the 'edit' button on the right side of that field and type in a new tag. Simple! Each user can add up to 2 tags per thread.

screenshot_02.jpg

screenshot_03.jpg

So, as you use the forum, please help us to generate our base of tagged threads by using this feature. If you see a thread have a new topic discussed that isn't described in the tags, then tag it. And, if you happen to be going through an old thread with no tags, take a moment to add appropriate tags. If we all pitch in, keep the tags relevant and on point, then this new feature can become a successful and powerful new way to find information. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-08-2008 at 13:48.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    This will certainly make searching easier.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    I've caught myself adding tags to threads that look on topic I find in the today's post. I want to say it is very quick and easy to use. If you are going to click to read a thread it only takes a second to add some tags.

As to how many tags you get:

Thread Creator: 5 Tags
    Thread Reader : 2 Tags

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledgeengine View Post
    Thread Creator: 5 Tags
    Thread Reader : 2 Tags
    That's a good point that I meant to include in the original post. It has now been added.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Dang, I was going to add the tag "Tag" but somebody already did that!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Dang, I was going to add the tag "Tag" but somebody already did that!
    I actually thought of that while writing up the announcement.

Images

Lightbulb Tagging important/favorite old articles

I was thinking it would be nice if some of you would help me tag the old articles. I did the DIY HH tutorial, and plan on looking for more of my favorites. But, I can only give two tags per thread. If we all pitch in we can make sure the old threads don't get lost as people use this new feature to search. This should also hopefully help eliminate repeat questions.

I am loving the tags, because I can tag my favorite threads that I like to reference as I make gear. Then, it is very easy to get to where I need to be, as opposed to sifting through innumerable similar threads that are just not exactly the one that I wanted. Thanks for the upgrade!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12
    This is sure to be a great feature. Coming from a rookie who spends hours searching these forums for answers..

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi
    I just added a new thread and tried to add a couple of tags but was told that "down" is too common a word and would be not allowed.
    Thanks great feature though.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    I just added a new thread and tried to add a couple of tags but was told that "down" is too common a word and would be not allowed.
    I'm looking into a way to edit the 'common words' list, but it's not entirely clear yet. In the meantime, I would suggest using other appropriate descriptive words where appropriate.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-13-2008 at 22:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast