DIY Hammock 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    DIY TQ. HG UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Dynaglide

Asymmetrical vs. Normal lays

Hey everyone - I'm new here to the forum and have been reading up about all the hammock awesomeness that I never knew existed, so thanks for your knowledge.

My question right now is what the advantage is in having an asymmetrical hammock compared to a normal one. I've spent a number of nights out in my eno hammock and always slept asymmetrically, but does having the actual hammock as an asym cut mean that you lie in it in line with the ridgeline? Or do you still sleep asymmetrically but the advantage is having more of a designated head and foot box.

thanks for the help

Johnny

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the forums JD.

With an "asym" hammock you still lay on the diagonal but the shape of the hammock helps you to feel slightly flatter than a standard gathered end hammock like your ENO. There are only a few styles of hammocks that you would lie In Line with.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1987 View Post
    ....does having the actual hammock as an asym cut mean that you lie in it in line with the ridgeline? Or do you still sleep asymmetrically but the advantage is having more of a designated head and foot box.

thanks for the help

Johnny
    Yep, the later...the advantage is you have more of a head and foot "box" area. The disadvantage is they tend to be directional, where as you ENO you can lay R to L, L to R, and there is no "real" head and foot end, so you can pretty much lay any direction you want. Which is nice if you are with someone and want to face them or if you want to look out over a particular vista.

Welcome to the forum be sure to watch Shug's videos, and pic up a copy of the ultimate hang Between these and the forum you'll be a pro in no time.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    DIY TQ. HG UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Dynaglide

Thank you

Awesome. Thank you for the quick responses guys. I've watched a bunch of shugs videos. Hes a wild card. I like it and very informative stuff.

I'm going to move to an underquilt at some point, but for now what about using pads - would the asym cut have more of a "space" for a pad to lie without trying to migrate back to center? or is that not how it works.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Good luck! Paul hit it on the head. I think more asym hammocks on the market would be cool.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I'm going to move to an underquilt at some point, but for now what about using pads - would the asym cut have more of a "space" for a pad to lie without trying to migrate back to center? or is that not how it works.
    If you've got a "double bottom" hammock, the pad will go between the layers and generally be fairly comfortable. In a single layer bottom, you will be sleeping right on top of the pad. Getting in and then adjusting to how you want to sleep usually means you're moving, or trying to move, on top of the pad. It's at this point that anytime I've ever tried this, that the pad develops a mind of it's own and decides to move away from me. I've tried sleeping pads in a Clark (you sleep down the middle in this hammock) and a hennessy (mine was asym). The pad was easier for me to deal with in the Clark. I found there was to much area for the pad to migrate to in the hennessy.

Some people have an easier time using pads in hammocks than others. I move about all night and tended to end up fighting with the pad. The only way you'll know if it'll work for you is to actually try it. Remember to deflate the pad a bit if it's the blow up type.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome. Thank you for the quick responses guys. I've watched a bunch of shugs videos. Hes a wild card. I like it and very informative stuff.

I may change my moniker to "Wild Card"))))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts