Thread: hey!

hey!

Hey guys, just bought myself a hennessy hammock and going to test it out this weekend. Anybody have any tips for making sure I fully enjoy it, tree length / width, feet a little higher than the head, etc... also I recieved the kids hammock made for 5'8 <120lbs if anyone is interested in trading / buying it from me. Thanks and look forwadr to speaking with you

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sounds like you have a pretty decent understanding already. All that's left is to get out there and have fun!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Holy cow yes!

First step is to nail down how to spot the perfect trees. You're looking for solid trees (no widowmakers) that are at least 6 inches thick and between 12 and 15 feet apart (any further and you'd have to climb a ladder to hang your webbing high enough).

There are some great videos from Shug and others on all the ins-and-outs of hammocking, along with at least two books on hammock camping specifically that can get you swinging with ease.

If you have a Hennessy, I recommend pitching the tarp separate from the hammock (I'm not sure if Hennessy still has instructions to clip the tarp directly to the hammock suspension). If you clip the tarp to the hammock, it will sag down once you get in the hammock. Keep the tarp and hammock on their own separate suspension lines.

My first camping hammock was a Hennessy and I loved it. The next step now is to load up with some insulation and go hanging!

awesome, yeah i'm excited to use it, i live in south florida so weather isn't a problem right now, don't think i'll be needing an underquilt or anything quite yet. I will be getting a pad though incase it drops into the 40s, from what people say a pad with decent clothing in a 30* mummy bag should be good for that... i know its not frowned upon to hang in parks in south florida but i'm doing some backcountry camping for a night and going to test it out anyways, atleast get an idea how to put it up, etc... excited to get used to my new equipment so i can hit the AT this spring / summer!

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Welcome to the addiction! Best suggestion has already been made by Dejoha - also depending on your preference you may want to pitch the foot end (entry end) about 6 inches higher, seems to balance out a little better that way. Only other suggestion is to get to a group hang, you can learn a lot here but face to face is better.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Great thread for us beginners. Thanks to MattKyle for asking and others for responding. I've been surfing around, but the amount of info is kinda overwhelming.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    Great thread for us beginners. Thanks to MattKyle for asking and others for responding. I've been surfing around, but the amount of info is kinda overwhelming.
    I hear ya! The forums are like a great encyclopedia or concordance on hammock camping with sections on all the latest innovations and techniques. I recommend starting with just the basics and get yourself securely in the saddle. I don't mean to be a shameless self-promoter, but this is one of the big reasons I wrote my book on hammock camping--it distills the basics in an easy-to-read format with lots of visuals to make it easy. Amazon has a great deal on the book right now.

• + New Posts