Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Excellent job! I like the two-tone.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Deployment

So I just wanted to add a few pictures to finish up this thread. Maybe someday it will serve to help other DIY'ers. The first pic is of how I handled the fact that the two pieces of material were different sizes. Basically for the underquilts, and using the spreadsheet that Meteor posted, the inner shell and outer shell are different lengths and widths. The length (running the same direction of the baffles) or sides of the two pieces are joined which leaves the ends or width. I pinned the two layers together at the baffle ensuring that the quilt would be in line. I then pleated the tubes between the baffle pins to take up the difference between the width of the inner and outer layers. In the corners I rolled the edge of the length and then folded it around the corner. Maybe the pic will help.
    DSCN3235.jpg

The other big issue for me was not knowing how big an ounce of down is. Granted fill power might have something to do with this but just in general I had no frame of reference. I know once the shell was completed I had my doubts as to whether or not it would fill up with down. It did and I also got to finally have some lightweight gear!
    DSCN3243.jpg

I'd really like to thank all the members that take the time to fully document their work. I always have big plans to document every step, but then I get busy sewing and give up. Even still, I think there are a few points that get skipped, at least for me, and hopefully if others have similar questions that I did, maybe this can serve as a help to them.

Finally, I was able to test the quilt today. Unfortunately it only got down to about 58* when I was testing, but I got to practice hanging it anyway. I'm using some elastic cord from Jo-Ann's. It was 15 ft. for about $2 I think. This is almost not enough and most likely I'll change the setup before I finalize anything. I found that it warmed up almost immediately once I got into the hammock. Again, it was very mild temperatures today so I won't know if it will make the 20-30* range for some time.

A couple of pics.

From the side:100_0652.jpg

End shot:100_0653.jpg

The greatest lady on earth (mom) with a little smirk:
    100_0655.jpg

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Smile Good at 38*

Set up the hammock tonight outside. Thermometer said 38*. I set up my hammock and new underquilt with no tarp or wind break. The wind was coming through at about 10-15 mph gusts. I was warm and toasty, at least the parts over the underquilt, even though I had no blanket or quilt over me. I was dressed in jeans and a t shirt and a fleece hoodie. I think with top insulation I'm going to be able to take this thing down pretty low. I'm getting the itch to complete the top quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12