Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Making it official and inviting any and all

We were going to do RHK for New Years but my selfish nature got the better of me...along with my AT goals of the year I'd wished also to hike in the Savage Gulf, the Big South Fork and RRG......the year is almost up but not over and instead of RHK it is to be the Red River Gorge AND bringing in a NEW YEAR there.
    So game plan so far....
    Base camp in the campground (if open) Thursday night Dec. 29
    Begin the loop/lollipop (depending on road conditions and where to leave cars) on Dec. 30, celebrate Dec.31st amongst the features of this gorge; and hike out Jan 1st.
    We're planning on 5-6 miles/day to accommodate huge gear loads for serious cold and ample ample time to explore the formations there...I even plan to carry a real camera for the first time....mileage monsters will be bored...spiritual monsters who want to slowly soak up the lore there will be happy and blessed.
    Roche is a planning kind of guy and is working on the nuances even as I eat turkey and dressing. I'd put up a possible in the retro pack thread...he may like that one or not...and we'll know more after he talks to the rangers there (hint hint hint Roche)....
    This hike/hang is to be unique-
    NO INTERNAL FRAME BACKPACKS!!!
    Ok if it is all you have, better yet hop on ebay and go retro with us!!!
    Dont hold my feet to the fire and say 'well and only 2 pound stoves too' HA!
    So let's hope for decent weather to get there....once on the ground crampons will be packed.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    sounds like fun...I won't be there but I'm still retro...I still use an external pack and love it !!
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Images

ah ah ah ah stayin' 'live

What about total retro? I'm talking prom picture retro - pastel color tuxedo and Brady Bunch hair. Yes kids, it was not a pretty time in fashion. Thank God digital photography was not available.

What do you think Frommer's has on the RRG? I'll do a little e-recon and perhaps check with our KY brethren.

Time to pull out the Kelty Super Tioga - good timing as it stores the Christmas decorations.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip to make, unfortunately I wont be able to make this one as it is falling into the time I will be out of state visiting my little one. Love the retro idea though and am seriously considering an external for those bulky loads. You guys have a great time and I look forward to the trip report.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Retro eah? Corduroy bell bottoms, and converse. or leggings and buffalo skins? The pack may take some doing, I just got an internal that I have yet to use, I may have to scrimp together some money and make a trip over to amazon and see what I can dig up, I love extermal frame packs. They let you stand up stright. OH YEAH and an underquilt woudl probably be wise.

I was thinking about trying a hike to ring in the new year myself. I may just try to tag along, the only thing that may be a fly in the ointment for me is how much I may need to get done before winter quarter starts.

Anyone have GPS cords for the start point?

best,
    lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    If you guys don't report with tons and tons of pictures from this costume party hike, you aren't allowed back on the forums, ever.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Getting MORE retro as we type!!

I just won this beautiful little ditty, I may be so sore by the time the weekend is over you all may have to bury me in the gorge. (hopefully this thing is not 4th grader size, there was not a ton of explination in the listing) Not sure which will be worse the John Trivolta, Saturday night Fever attire or this new pack. Anyone ever do the AT in platform shoes?

I may end up having to rebuild the straps if they are too worn, but the way I figure it, I've blown WAY more money on FAR dumber things!

Anyone else "suited" up yet?

pax,
    lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Images
    Ebay has picked up on this:

This one is from the "ecology flag" I remember seeing as a kid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-FAMOUS...item3cbf044536

Not sure of this theme:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellowstone-...item415f943e2f

I did see an Evel Knievel one a few days ago.

lostinthewuds - good luck with that, it's older than me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    I saw that Yellowstone pack, looks like a box of crayolas threw up on it! I like to think that the one I just got is "safety orange".

lost

Hammock
    DIY-That needs a name
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images
    I had that ecology pack, 30 years ago. Took it all around the east coast with Boy Scouts, including 2 weeks in the Allagash of Northern Maine.
    There are very few problems we can solve ourselves, but there is almost nothing we cannot solve together.

Most often when someone says they can't, they are unwilling to try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast