Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using a NX 250 as a tent/bivi successfully?

Hello everyone. Im considering the NX250, infact im most likely going to get one. Just wanted to know if anyone managed to use it well as a bivi/tent with the spreader poles. About half of the places im going to be camping out soon wont have trees because of the altitude so want to know if i can get away not buying a new tent (coz my old one is ruined now). If no one has been successful with the alternative use i may not be able to validate the cost of the clark and might go with a cheeper option hammock coz ill also have to buy a new tent too...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A hammock as ground bivy's is usually a last option scenario. The delicate fabric used to support your weight while laying in the hammock can easily be damaged. If I planned on going to the ground half of the time I would opt for a cheaper hammock so I could also get a tent. I would be surprised if you got a full season of heavy use out of a clark (any hammock for that matter) if it was used on the ground half the time.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dd786 View Post
    Hello everyone. Im considering the NX250, infact im most likely going to get one. Just wanted to know if anyone managed to use it well as a bivi/tent with the spreader poles. About half of the places im going to be camping out soon wont have trees because of the altitude so want to know if i can get away not buying a new tent (coz my old one is ruined now). If no one has been successful with the alternative use i may not be able to validate the cost of the clark and might go with a cheeper option hammock coz ill also have to buy a new tent too...
    You probably won't find that much utility using a hammock in a ground deployment aside from bug protection. The tarp will be the most significant component for protection from wind and precipitation.
    Were you looking at 3-season conditions or 4-season conditions?

Thanks for the replys fellars. I was thinking it might damage the bottom part TBH but wasnt sure. Its cold in my opinion for half the year here in england, especially at the high altitudes that you have to be at to camp in a lot of places. I would just be a bit bummed if i brought a tent and there were a few randon unexpected trees that i coulda used instead, conversly it would suck if it was the other way round too lol
    I guess il just have to do better research on the areas i end up at.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Good luck to you if you get the NX-250. I have it an love it, but would not go to ground with it. I do have a Claytor and a Green Hornet hammock that can go to ground. I still wouldn't do it too often.
    Google the Claytor and the Green Hornet to check them out. Good prices, and the Green Hornet is from the UK, so it would be cheaper for you. The Green Hornet is a nice hammco that can be used in many configurations.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    This is more of a British need, due to our lack of trees

I've used my DD travel on occasions as a bivi, only as an emergency though-its very sweaty as its not breathable and its damages the bug netting. Its a similar product to the clark.

It works acceptably as a bug bivi under a tarp, I've spent many nights like this in the hills away from trees. On soft grass, its fine. Sand and rocks will kill it quicker than lager kills a vindaloo though.

You have to use a ground sheet under the hammock when its on the floor or it will be holed in no time and dump you on your rear when you hang.

If your going to do a lot of ground sleeping(as you do when your up high in this country), you will be much better off with a bivi bag under the tarp and a seperate hammock.

Yeah, im beginning to think the seperate bivi is my only option. Where do you but your backpack when you bivi camp though? No way its fitting in the bivi lol
    Guess i could get a waterproof sack to put it in and just leave it outside...

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    You have to use a ground sheet under the hammock when its on the floor or it will be holed in no time and dump you on your rear when you hang.
    +1

I haven't done it yet, but because of the scarcity of trees in some places I hike, I need to be prepared for this. We also suffer plenty of bugs and creepy crawlies that are worse on the ground and I don't plan on sharing my sleep with. So, my plan is: (top to bottom)

1) Tarp with doors, using hiking poles for support.
    2) Me in Hammock (WBBB) ridgeline strung between the poles
    3) Neoair regular
    4) Groundsheet (Tyvek or heavy Cuben)

This should protect the hammock well. The only extra weight is the neoair and the groundsheet, but I'd normally carry some sort of groundsheet, just not as large. The pad gives bottom insulation on the ground so the UQ will stay in the pack. Neoair and groundsheet weigh approx 500g.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dd786 View Post
    Yeah, im beginning to think the seperate bivi is my only option. Where do you but your backpack when you bivi camp though? No way its fitting in the bivi lol
    Guess i could get a waterproof sack to put it in and just leave it outside...
    Why not take a tarp? That will let you use a breathable bivy if you need one at all. You would have been carrying one with a Clark anyway.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think people assume you should always put your gear in your tent because you are used to taking things inside your home. Leaving your gear under a hammock or outside a tent seemed like weird idea when I first heard and tried it...now I never take it inside with me. I like having the extra room next to me vs a dirty pack. I just leave my pack outside in a JRB pack cover/gear hammock. I can cinch it down so there is only a small hole (about the size of a larger coin) and leave it outside dust/waterproof!
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast