Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Waterproofing hennesy hammock

Hi. I was wondering whether it would be possible to waterproof a hennesy hammock. I would like to use it even in heavy rain without the tarp. I was thinking it might work to sew a layer of waterproof material where the bug netting is and let it hang down so the water runs off. It would still be easy to get in with the bottom entry one and it would make setup easier and tbh i dont care about not being able to see or the extra weight since im 4wding not hiking.
    So would this work? And how would I go about it and with what material? Is there anything already available like this? Would it be easier to jsut build it from scratch?
    Thankyou.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    There's an over cover which would achieve nearly that (except for the breathing hole). I wouldn't really recommend waterproofing it though. You'll probably just end up drenched from condensation, ironically. I'd vote you go with the tarp. It's not really that hard to set up, and if you do it right (read The Ultimate Hang for excellent instructions) it will keep out the rain.

The tarp will also give you a shelter under which you can unpack, pack, prepare food, eat, change clothes etc.

But as they say, Hang Your Own Hang!

Hmmm just realized your in australia to. Im down in victoria so we get a fair bit of rain when it falls and i reckon it will get in. Also i dont need anywhere to do all that stuff im going to make an awning for the jeep. What if it hangs out wider than the hammock so its not sealed so it kinda drapes over it? Like having one of those lines that go from one end to the other and just drape a big heavy canvas over that and peg it down? Would be quicker than one of the light weight ones that are all taught and stuff.
    Basically what i want is something i can just unroll, tie up on both ends, pull tight and go to sleep while being completely waterproof no matter how much wind and rain there is. Dont care how much it weighs as long as it packs up fairly small.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Condensation is your enemy. For the 30 seconds it takes for me to set up my tarp I would stay with the better ventilation and breathable bed. But the mantra here is hang your own hammock. Try it out and see what you get. You might like it. Then again... you might not. But at least you would know.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    for what you want aai think I would replace the stock diamond with a rectangle with a ridge about the same length or just a bit longer. The idea is to leave it attached the way Hennessy does. Door flaps would be useful on the head end. Both ends if the weather changes that much. Make the sides long enough to go to ground from a comfortable ridge height. There are a couple of ways to deal with the suspension. I like the idea of looping a strap around the tree and using a carabiner or Dutch clip to close the loop then a buckle setup tied in after where the tarp ties in. That gives you a drip break and adjustment point. I'd go with Polyurethane coated polyester if I had a choice. It takes the sun better than nylon. Stuff the whole setup in a large Bishop Bag. In practice pull the bag out of the vehicle, snap one strap around a tree. Feed line out past the buckle where you can guesstimate adding slack. Keep feeding to the other buckle then tree. Close the loop. Walk back setting the sag at the buckles. Stake out the tarp corners and hammock guys. Step back, pull out chair, grab a cold beverage and sit and watch your neighbors working at setting up. Took longer to describe than it should take to do. No knots, minimum fiddle factor.
    Want even less fiddle factor put rope pockets at the tie out points on the tarp. Use permanent ropes for porch mode left tied on with tautline hitch on the far end. Going to ground just stake through the tie out loop. Porch mode - stake out the rope end and adjust.

Ok so im still new to this and this may be a dum question but why would a waterproof hammock get condensation when a swag or tent does not? How i see my idea it is more a hanging swag than a sealed hammock.
    Anothermark do you mean make a large rectangle tarp that reaches to the ground and leave it always attached to the hammock? I found some random video by accident where he suspended it with a tree hugger strap, a carabiner and two metal loops. He then put the rope around both loops and then between them. Pull it tight and hook the end onto something.
    What i really want is something that only needs to be hung at each end and then its done. No other pieces or pegs or anything. The other thought i had which would allow this was to have a complete custom hammock that went completely around with a velcro entry like in the hennessy hammocks at the end. It would just be one piece sewn together at each side made out of some type of waterproof material. Only problem is i have no idea if this would work.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Also sorry if my post is a bit rambly i wrote it over a few hours a bit at a time. Also im probably going to get a hennessy hammock to see how it goes and take out the netting so i can use it inside my jeep. See how that goes but it would be nice to have the option to be inside or outside my car.

Hey, Motas,

Why don't you just try the HH first, without modifying it. Once you've tried it out, THEN go about making the ultimate hammock.

I bought one earlier this year, as "an idea" for my backcounry NZ fishing trips. Hung it outside between the verandah posts - fantastically comfortable to lie in. One Autumn night , got grumpy with my beloved and decided to sleep in it (with quilt) - miserable miserable night, with coldest bum and back I'd ever had. (Karma! ).

Hammocking throws up some weird issues. I've slept on the ground with an air mattress in colder temps than that night in Autumn, and was warm. Suddenly, in a hammock, I had a cold butt. You sleep in a swag with no condensation. Sleep in a hammock, with a "sock", and I gather you'll get it.

The HH is pretty easy to hang, even with tarp. I think you'll find the insect mesh useful for summer. Maybe consider the side entry model, so you can throw the mesh to one side if you really need to.

All I've done to modify mine so far has been to put a few feet of zipper in at the junction of the mesh and hammock, so I can each out and get things...............and made an underquilt and top quilt.

A

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    "Ok so im still new to this and this may be a dum question but why would a waterproof hammock get condensation when a swag or tent does not? How i see my idea it is more a hanging swag than a sealed hammock."
    Basic issue is your body produces up to ~ 1 litre of water overnight. Much of it is in exhaled breath. A swag (bedroll) is open and allows your breath to escape. A fancy swag (bivy tent) is double walled so vents. A hammock with a waterproof cover confines you and your exhaled breath into a very small volume of space. The moisture will condense on any surface cooler than the dew point. In practice this is inside your roof and it rains down inside your hammock. There is a secondary issue in that you will find yourself lying on your back in a confined space. The key is to use a double wall with air space to vent like a deluxe swag.
    BTW - used mrswagman for a reference to translate terms. ;-)

re:tarp change. I thought you already had a Hennessy or had access to one. The stock tarp is a diamond that is on the small side so it takes care to keep achieve water tightness. His alternative is a hex tarp that is pretty large so works better with a separate ridge line. I'm changing my advice - get the hammock with a bottom entry and stock tarp. Once you have that you will be able to see what I am talking about.

I found some random video by accident where he suspended it with a tree hugger strap, a carabiner and two metal loops. He then put the rope around both loops and then between them. Pull it tight and hook the end onto something.
    There are a couple of more things I might do differently than I first described. The problem is you have no reference as you don't have a hammock to look at the details we would be discussing. I think you can do what you want but you will be in a floppy cave. A couple of pegs could make things much more comfortable to me, I'm not you. Right now the key is to get a hammock and spend a night or two in one to get a frame of reference.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by motas View Post
    Ok so im still new to this and this may be a dum question but why would a waterproof hammock get condensation when a swag or tent does not? How i see my idea it is more a hanging swag than a sealed hammock.

Have never used a swag, but have used a t**t. (1 of those 4 letter words that shall not be spoken on here ) Most have a way of venting the condensation. Last weekend I was on a campout with the Scouts. I had my Guide Gear 12'x12' tarp. I had it closed up tight. We didn't have rain, but if we did, it wasn't getting in and neither was the wind. In the morning, the inside of the tarp was soaked from condensation. The next trip, I don't think I will close the tarp up as tight, a little venting, hopefully would allow the moisture to escape.

With a waterproof hammock and the confined space, I would think that the moisture would be worst and may even soak your insulation. But HYOH and let us know how it works.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NfS8...ayer_embedded#!

I ran across this as it shows a single ridge line hang. Everything off the ridge so hang both ends and you are done. It also shows a side entry hammock and the space you need to use it. If you really want to do a hanging man cave the bottom entry will let you keep things a lot tighter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast