DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I've always loved the outdoors and camping and fishing. I moved from boats to fishing from a kayak about four years ago. One of the kayak fishing sites I'm on has an article section. I spotted an article on camping, which naturally sparked my interest. The author spoke about using a Hennessey hammock for his camping. It interested me to the point of researching it, and........ you guessed it, I stumbled on to a Shug video. I would be curious to know just how many people that fella has turned on to hammocks. The man is a Youtube billboard!
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I backpacked as a kid and teen .... i got out of it for a few years and when i got back into backpacking in 06-07 the first thing i did was get old surplus gear .... after one trip i started looking for other options... than i found SGT Rocks Hiking HQ . I spent a solid week reading everything on his site LOL
    i was in love so i ordered a cheap hammock and it was all down hill
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

I got tired of waking up sore in the mornings after a nite in my tent! Even with an inflatable pad I still felt like I had been hit by a truck in the morning!
    That and just the increasing effort required to crawl in and out of the darn tent! I'm not as nimble as I once was!
    Also as Shug mentioned, the advantage of having a dry, comfortable place to sit
    when in camp! Priceless!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    ..... you guessed it, I stumbled on to a Shug video. I would be curious to know just how many people that fella has turned on to hammocks. The man is a Youtube billboard!
    I'd be curious to know how many folks he's converted as well.

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    First bought an ENO after seeing an article of some college students carrying one with them to relax between classes across campus and I thought "I know a good idea when i see it" so i ordered one and the rest is history.

Hammocking was really catalyzed for me on my last trip to Wekiva Springs, a misjudgment of weather had me sweltering in my tent. Just too hot to sleep with a bag, too cold to sleep with anything less. Slept.... AWFUL tossing and turning the whole time thinking if i have a mosquito net i would be in my hammock in two seconds.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    August 2010, I had to camp at a crappy spot on a rock ledge that slanted toward a lake. With a 12 hour rain storm you can guess how dry my tent floor was by, oh, say midnight...I started researching alternatives when I got home. I think the UL backpacking sites led me to HF. Once I saw the hammock vids I knew it was for me.
    Last summer we canoed Wabakimi PP. I really felt great when I woke up in the mornings after hanging. Two nights I slept in a tent and got a stark comparison. I have several tents, but I don't think I'll be using them again any time soon.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    My oldest son joined Boy Scouts. I started camping with them. My second to last night in a tent with the scouts was in sweltering heat, in my huge cabin style tent by myself. I wanted something smaller, and more comfortable. Made a homemade gathered hammock for the next campout. I lost my nerve the first night, but set it up the second night. Didn't sleep well, but got much more rest than I had the night before in the tent with pad. Sleep has improved every campout since, and now, I actually get woken up by reveille in the morning on Scout campouts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I was sick of being a responsible grown-up, so I decided to go hike the AT.

Only problem was that my back used to go out (totally) for about a week, once or twice a year. I knew this was going to be a problem, but nothing to do about it. Then, a young lady named "Rockstar" told me about hammocks. The rest is history, along with beds in my house.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Hadn't been out camping with just my sons in a long time, so I went camping with them on my birthday in August of last year. Storm came in hard and fast, so we were forced to make some quick choices for campsites.

We got setup and kept dry...I know how to camp/live outdoors no problem.

But...one of my son's friends that came along kept complaining the whole time about using his tent and not having a good spot close to setup his hammock to sleep in... (I was unintiated then, ok? )

Both mornings, I woke up almost unable to move...the ground was leaving me stiff and sore. But I had a great time being outdoors with my boys.

That winter, I started surfing...remembered the one guy wanting to camp out in a hammock...which led me to lots of videos, to various vendor sites, etc...

Bought my HH explorer deluxe, went camping in it last March...been out camping quite a lot over this last summer, but haven't slept on the ground once. And I'm up and starting the fire before anyone now...no more back pain!

Images
    i found out about hammocks on sgt rock's site in 2007.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 11-28-2011 at 15:31.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast