Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I was able to get my DJ for $200 from them directly. It was during last years Christmas sale and they said that if I didn't want the free Scout hammock they would take that amount ($99 at the time I think) off, so I did. Ended up working out great.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

Yes, the Deep Jungle XL is the same size as the Explorers, whether "Deluxe" or "Ultralight." The differences are in the fabrics used. The Deluxe fabric is like a "duck" weave, so it is more breathable. That makes it more prone to bite-through. It is also a heavier and cheaper fabric, so that class of hammock is less expensive. The Ultralight series bottoms are made with a very tightly woven 70 denier fabric. It is more expensive, so is the hammock. It is a bit less breathable, but very resistant to bite-through by mosquitoes. The Hyperlight series are made with a Spectra grid reinforced 30 denier fabric. It is the most expensive of the fabrics the Tom uses for hammock bodies to my knowledge. The Deep Jungle series of hammock are side-entry double bottomed hammocks, using the same fabric as the Hyperlights. I believe that Tom also pairs up his lightest silnylon tarps with the Hyerlights and Deep Jungles. Of course, these are also more expensive to produce. As with most backpacking gear on the market, lighter equates to more expensive.

A note about insect protection and control: I spray all my hammock bodies and netting with permethrin to help protect myself from insects, especially ticks and mosquitoes. I don't expect a mosquito to penetrate my hammock bottom, but I want the extra measure of protection. If I end up with my arm or head against the mosquito net, I don't know of any mesh that is 100% safe.

Regards,
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Images
    I forgot to say in the previous post: when I was trying out a borrowed DJXL, I thought it had more roominess as far as the net staying away from the net, compared to my Explorer UL. I also thought there was more distance between me and the ridge line, which probably accounted partly for the net being further from me. This may also indicate more built in "sag", as the hammocks are listed as the same length.

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    I have 3 HHS. I like the dj xl the best. I use an underquilt most of the time but I have used a pad some as well.

The double layer is really nice for the pad.

Good luck.

Thanks Rosalyn your post was informative.I apreciated it.
    I wish hh could change their holiday special. I wonder if I call I could make a deal and don't get the cub hammock. Crish sure made a good deal. I have a 6 year old son but I wouldn't feel confortable camping and go sleep separatedly from him. Specialy in a hammock, where you're not sure if is cold during the night. From my cheap parachute hammock experiences, I don't think hammock camping is for young kids. As much as I think hammock is the future, it is still look like a work in progress.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkaz View Post
    Does the bugs bite trought the fabric of yours hammock even thought its a single layer? Cause in the henessy site they say the explorer does the job too.
    I have never had a bug bite through my single layer hennessy (I'm in New Brunswick)

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    As far as the bugs go, my experience with my explorer deluxe this summer in Alaska was this... as long as I had a pad under me I had no problems with the bugs. There were a ton of mosquitos the first two nights. If I ear plugs I would have used them. My wife who waswas directly below me in her in said there was a solid layer ( mildly exagerated, but only mildly) of mosquitos on the undwrside of my hammock. As long as you have a pad under you, you' ll be fine. I imagine it wouldn't even require a very thick one, I just happen to use a self- infalting pad.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    This past weekend I spent the night in my new DJ with Top Cover, Under Cover, TQ and UQ in the low 30's and I was toasty warm and so very comfortable. The fabric is soft and so nice to sleep on. I like the double bottom for added warmth and the next time I will put my reflective pad in because it is getting colder.

I also have a Clark NX-250 and that is good for keeping me warm and toasty in the cold.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12