Tarp
    Z Packs Cuben
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge
    Suspension
    webbing (adj)
    Images

Staying Warm in a 3 Season TQ

I will be starting an AT section hike in early March from Springer and locals there tell me that I should expect snow & nighttime temps in the 20s along the AT. My current rig consists of a WBBB w/ Jarbridge UQ & a 0 degree bag. I am considering purchasing an Owyhee TQ from KAQ to replace the 0 degree bag since it is both lighter and more compressible. Do you all have any tips on staying warm using a TQ?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Get one rated to the temps you expect and snug it around you in the hammock. Eat a good meal before sleep. Wear a hat and/or hood. Maybe use a hot water bottle with you in the hammock....you may need to keep your water from freezing anyways.
    Use foot pad if your using a 3/4 UQ....very important.
    Carry on.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    So far I haven't had any issues with my top quilts. My only issue is knowing the limits of my under quilts to fight the dreaded CBS.

FYI - I've tested the Warbonnet 3 Season Mamba TQ down to 24*F with zero issues. That bag is rated to 20*F. Just make sure you have proper head gear to keep you head warm. I tend to use a neoprene face mask in temps below 30*F because my nose gets really cold and it becomes uncomfortable when I sleep.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    you can go with a lighter tq for sure. 20 degree or higher even, substitute layers for tq weight (gonna wear them anyway)

a common habit of mine is to use a 35 quilt and push it into the low 20's. while wearing a lightweight down sweater, and down pants (montbell) with goosefeet booties, i have gone to 15.9 degrees with this 35 quilt.

^and what Shug said

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Get one rated to the temps you expect and snug it around you in the hammock. Eat a good meal before sleep. Wear a hat and/or hood. Maybe use a hot water bottle with you in the hammock....you may need to keep your water from freezing anyways.
    Use foot pad if your using a 3/4 UQ....very important.
    Carry on.
    Shug
    If you do a hotwater bottle or take your bottles in with you, make sure that the caps don't leak. I learned from experience last winter. I had a nalgene cantene that I filled with hot water and took it in the hammock with me.I quickly checked for leaks, NONE! I didn't check long enough as I woke up at 4 am because my feet and legs were soaked and cold Pulled out the bottle and it was half empty. Checked it out and I got one drip about every 20 to 30 seconds. Needless to say the rest of the night was a little chilly.

Do a nice long check on that. That threads on that bottle just don't seal but it's still a fine bottle as long as it's right side up.

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post
    If you do a hotwater bottle or take your bottles in with you, make sure that the caps don't leak. I learned from experience last winter. I had a nalgene cantene that I filled with hot water and took it in the hammock with me.I quickly checked for leaks, NONE! I didn't check long enough as I woke up at 4 am because my feet and legs were soaked and cold Pulled out the bottle and it was half empty. Checked it out and I got one drip about every 20 to 30 seconds. Needless to say the rest of the night was a little chilly.

Do a nice long check on that. That threads on that bottle just don't seal but it's still a fine bottle as long as it's right side up.

HY
    As an extra precaution, I have always placed my wool sock hot water bottle inside a zip lock freezer bag.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Z Packs Cuben
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge
    Suspension
    webbing (adj)
    Images

KAQ Owyhee

Well, I pulled the trigger on a KAQ Owyhee TQ this morning and will use all of the helpful tips that you all provided. Thanks, Guys.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Enjoy your hike. And your sources are correct, having grown up in Erwin, TN, you can expect old man winter to be lurking around in March in the Southern App-a-latch-an mountains

• + New Posts