Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images

Shipping gear to destination

I'm going to be heading to Zion National Park in June and since we are flying I think I am going to have to ship most of my backpacking and family camping gear out there. I'm not paying the airlines to take it and have my stuff stolen for my money to boot and airline insurance is worth exactly nothing.

I will need some place near Los Vegas to ship the gear to and have them hold it for me till I arrive. What should I look for to find folks that do that sort of thing? This is something I have not tried before. I'll be camping with the family for a couple days and then a solo backpacking trip along the West Rim Trail. It's getting close to go time now and I'm getting excited.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I will need some place near Los Vegas to ship the gear to and have them hold it for me till I arrive. What should I look for to find folks that do that sort of thing? This is something I have not tried before. I'll be camping with the family for a couple days and then a solo backpacking trip along the West Rim Trail. It's getting close to go time now and I'm getting excited.
    Try contacting the postmaster of one of the offices there about shipping to their office and having it held for you. I've heard of that service being offered for many different purposes. Plus, you could have it registered and insured.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Make sure you ask about what can not be sent. I believe that fuel canisters are not allowed so you will have to plan on buying them when you get there. I could be wrong about that so make sure you check. I know thru hikers pre-send packages all the time. Many of the to post offices or general stores. The park office may be able to give you guidance as well. Some places will charge a fee, other will hold a package for a certain period of time at no cost. It depends on the place.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I believe that fuel canisters are not allowed so you will have to plan on buying them when you get there. I could be wrong about that so make sure you check.
    Cannisters can be sent via Ground only, no Airmail.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I'd also check with UPS...they've held packages for me...they usually try to be helpful...

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Thanks guys! I wasn't aware that the USPS would hold packages nor UPS. I'll look into that.

• + New Posts