Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tarp hang

tarp hang

is there any consensus on the angle(s) of a properly hung tarp? i'm day dreaming about making one and would love to add doors but, trying to built one without knowing what a resonable angle is, makes the resulting doors way too big to be practical actually it's the weight more that size. any thoughts, musings,or home recipes for vishyssolse?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Not sure what "angle" on a tarp you'd be referring to.

A tarp is typically strung directly across between the two trees, and pulled relatively tight so that there'd be very little (if any) sag to create an angle.

So I'd guess the angle on the tarp ridgeline would be 90 degrees.

As far as the angles of the sides...that depends on weather conditions and personal preference.

When it's nice, you can go to "porch mode", and have one or both sides parallel to the ground (or even higher).

When the weather is just straight down rain, you can have the sides as low as you want/need to keep the hammock dry.

When it's coming down kittens, or windy as anything...you may want to have the sides as steep as possible to prevent anything from coming in under the bottom.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I do hang my tarp "at an angle".

Pardon my paint skills but the black line is my tarp ridgeline.

The angle of my tarp is determined by how high off my hammock I want my tarp (if you pull the rl more taut [thereby decreasing the angle], the tarp will rise, if you losen the rl [making the hang angle more steep], the tarp will fall closer to the hammock. Re-tighten the corner tieouts and you will be all set).

The reason I prefer this over hanging the tarp rl straight across is you can tighten the ridgeline and adjust the height of the tarp off the hammock extremely easy and also the hammock suspension and tarp suspension never intersect/ interfere with each other.

I describe the method I use here.

sorry i was a wee bit unclear as to what "angle" i was thinking of. the angle of the tarp on each side of the ridge line.(as one would lay in a hammock) the angles down from the ridge line towards the ground...left and right sides. also was thinking of the angles when one would be enduring bad weather, when a person starts to wish they had doors. not thinking about precise measurements, just an approximation. my high is probably not your high

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    In bad weather, when doors are needed, the angles will be different for each hammock/tarp setup. You will want the tarp to be as close to the hammock as possible. But the angle will be different depending on a couple of factors. For example if you use a bridge hammock, the sides will need to go farther out to not hit the bridge as opposed to a gathered end hammock.

If your tarp is wide, you won't be able to get as steep of an angle as a narrower tarp since you will be touching the ground before you could stake it out.

Another factor would be the type of tarp you have. A rectangle, hex and diamond tarps will all have different needs to the shape and size of the doors. I think your best bet would be to hang your hammock, get your tarp close as you can, then figure out your needs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    With anything I mock up my designs with material that I can discard after I've used it to developed my pattern. I'd probably use visqueen

yes banner a mock up might be the overall best way to do this. can't start untill after march, and was trying to do what lil i could in the mean time. untill then , it's all pencil and paper

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Tender toe, thanks. I have been trying to figure out a system like that for some time. I will definetly try it next time. I like having three heights: full standing up porch mode, bent head with walls down and batten down the hatchesvwith sides low to the ground.

Hammock
    Ground!! Oh my.
    Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I do hang my tarp "at an angle".

Pardon my paint skills but the black line is my tarp ridgeline.

The angle of my tarp is determined by how high off my hammock I want my tarp (if you pull the rl more taut [thereby decreasing the angle], the tarp will rise, if you losen the rl [making the hang angle more steep], the tarp will fall closer to the hammock. Re-tighten the corner tieouts and you will be all set).

The reason I prefer this over hanging the tarp rl straight across is you can tighten the ridgeline and adjust the height of the tarp off the hammock extremely easy and also the hammock suspension and tarp suspension never intersect/ interfere with each other.

I describe the method I use here.
    I like that idea of the third prussic on the continuous ridgeline. Thanks for the good video explaining your method.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    Appalachian Trail Thru Hike Blog

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Tender toe, thanks. I have been trying to figure out a system like that for some time. I will definetly try it next time. I like having three heights: full standing up porch mode, bent head with walls down and batten down the hatchesvwith sides low to the ground.
    Hope it works for you. It's been the system I like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by PiSquared View Post
    I like that idea of the third prussic on the continuous ridgeline. Thanks for the good video explaining your method.
    Thanks. It's worked great for a handful of years now.

To the OP, the angle you are referring to also depends on the weather IMHO. If its raining sideways, I have the tarp sides pitched at a steep A-frame so as to close the doors fully. The less steep the A-frame is pitched, the less able you are to fully close the doors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast