Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    I think a person's mentality has a lot to do with it. As a woman, genetically I know I will never be as hot as my hubby but at the same time I also seem to get by with less clothes than a lot of my female friends.

A lot if that has to do with understanding that as it gets colder after a long hot summer it is easy to start bundling up at 60 degrees since it is so much colder than it had been. But if you brave it and force yourself to deal with it by wearing shorts and t shirts well into the 50's then your body slowly gets used to it and you're just throwing on a light pullover in the 40's instead of acting like an ice age has occurred.

You'll never get over basic genetics or the conditioning of the place where you were raised, things like that will always have an effect, but you can use mental power to overcome a lot.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    My wife is Irish/ German and she is cold-natured. I am not sure anyone told her that being from that region makes you a warm sleeper. I produce the vast majority of the heat when it is time to sleep. Maybe its because I'm Hungarian/Spanish?
    I also am the more active of the two of us. She's not big on camping without an RV.
    She's a bank teller, I'm working on being a teacher and currently work in Recreation.

I should note that I used to be much more warm-natured, until I lost 25lbs doing P90X this past Spring. Now I get cold easier, dang it.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    High metabolism, resting heart rate of 46, warm sleeper, raised in Ky, of northern european descent, always warmer than others around me. I recall a volunteer trail work group eating dinner, all others in coats or sweatshirts, while I was in a T and shorts. Wife reminded me I was the one with a broken thermostat.

I truly enjoyed my outdoor work while employed for 30 yrs in electrical construction. Snow lightly falling, no problem working in only a flannel shirt for a top. Currently, we set the 'stat for 58* for sleeping, and anytime the wife is at work. She thinks her cats don't like it much, but they have no vote.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    I think a person's mentality has a lot to do with it.....

But if you brave it and force yourself to deal with it by wearing shorts and t shirts well into the 50's then your body slowly gets used to it and you're just throwing on a light pullover in the 40's instead of acting like an ice age has occurred.

You'll never get over basic genetics or the conditioning of the place where you were raised, things like that will always have an effect, but you can use mental power to overcome a lot.
    I agree with those sentiments wholeheartedly. I expose myself in the elements at every opportunity! Oh wait, I meant to say I expose myself TO the elements!

I've got a jacuzzi tub, and during winter I love to get my body temperature up really high, then go lay out in the backyard (hopefully in the snow) in just a pair of shorts to cool down. My wife thinks I'm retarded, but the Finns lay in the snow as part of their sauna culture.

Wish I had a sauna at home, but I have to make do with the YMCA sauna, which operates at up 180* Fahrenheit. After 15 or 20 minutes sweating in there, I take a freezing cold shower for five minutes till the heart rate drops, then I go in the sauna or steam room for another round. I spent two hours tonight doing that at the Y, and lost five lbs. of water weight alternating between the sauna, steam room and cold showers.

I'm getting to the point where I rarely take hot showers at home, because they really rob my skin of moisture, and besides, it's wimpy. And this winter I've set my office thermostat to 55 degrees (and that's all the time, not just for sleeping). If I get cold, I put on another layer. Call me hard core, but I don't often get cold!

Now if I could only find a way to deal with the oppressive humidity of a New Jersey summer. I would love to wean myself off of air-conditioning, but this place is too hot in the summer.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-30-2011 at 00:24.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl.
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20*
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I'd like to throw another theory into the mix: Where you grew up, ie usual (Mean?) Temp. My former work partner (one of my current hiking partners) is from South Florida, He's a bit taller than me, I'm about his weight, similar ancestry (Scandinavian & etc.) but there is a VERY narrow window when we can both hike together. I can't hike above about 90 degrees, Him not below about 60, at least for an overnight trip.
    I tend to agree. Not uncommon for temps here to be up over 100 degrees from June through September. Heck, it was 114 the day we got married. I sleep cold and usually am looking for a jacket at temps below 70.

One night, in Yosemite with temps ~32 - 34 degrees I was in my Big Agnes Lost Ranger (rated @ 15*, but B.A. over rates their gear), with an 2.5" down insulated air core pad. I was wearing capilene 3 top and bottoms, fleece jacket & pants, and two pairs of wool socks and a wool hat and could not sleep with all the shivering I was doing.

I'm of Italian / Spanish decent, but my wife who is of Irish / German decent has no problem with the cold.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123