DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

UQ Width ?'s

i am soon going to be starting my next diy project, an IX UQ. i am unsure of what length and width to make the UQ. i am 6'2" tall, a cold sleeper, and i tend to move a lot while i sleep. i was thinking of going 50" wide and 6' long. does this make sense? as always thanks for the info and advice.
    Hops

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I just finished making an under quilt over the Thanksgiving break. I used a width of 45 inches, but you can certainly go wider.

I used a poncho liner and some IX. I was crazy and sewed V-tubes:

Inner layer was some non-coated ripstop nyon, then the V-tubes made from 1 layer of IX, and the outer layer was the poncho liner.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grich9860 View Post
    i am soon going to be starting my next diy project, an IX UQ. i am unsure of what length and width to make the UQ. i am 6'2" tall, a cold sleeper, and i tend to move a lot while i sleep. i was thinking of going 50" wide and 6' long. does this make sense? as always thanks for the info and advice.
    There's a list of many UQ's and their sizes here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...0bFBqSEE&hl=en

I am 6', and a shuffling cold sleeper... I have a lost River KAQ as well as a couple of DIY quilts (PLUQ, IX) My KAQ is 44" wide by 48" long. I find the width to be just fine. I often pull one knee up, and it is normally covered... I almost wish I had gone with a longer quilt, but I am learning to use a pad IN my TQ to keep my feet warm...

The big questions you need to answer are: Are you backpacking or car camping? (Is weight a problem?) How LOW do you want to go?

If you're not backpacking, I'd say go full-length and as wide was you want...

If you ARE, I'd consider a 3/4 length UQ... something to cover from the tip of your head to past your knees... saves a lot of weight, while allowing you to stay warm.

If you're a gram weenie, like many here, then weight is one of your primary concerns, after the "will it keep me warm?" question...

best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I just finished making an under quilt over the Thanksgiving break. I used a width of 45 inches, but you can certainly go wider.

I used a poncho liner and some IX. I was crazy and sewed V-tubes:

Inner layer was some non-coated ripstop nyon, then the V-tubes made from 1 layer of IX, and the outer layer was the poncho liner.
    OK, now we need some pics! Is it warm? How big are the tubes? How many? How much IX did you use? What's the fastest land mammal? I considered something like this, but IX over IX.... is the inner liner necessary? ok... I'll stop playing 20 questions... PICS!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I made a very wide full length UQ. Its 57" wide and to be honest its too wide.
    It blocks the view from the hammock and needs lots of tension on the shock cords to snug up. It works fine and doesn't detract from the warmth but I'm going to mod it smaller.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    sawyer...... i am a hiker for the most part, but i do car camp with the family from time to time. i am not a gram weenie, but i do try to keep weight down. i do most (99%) of my hiking during the spring, summer, and fall so i am not looking for sub 30* temps. that being said would 3 layers of IX get me to these temps?
    Hops

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Another question to ask yourself is how much of a diagonal angle do you like to sleep in? If you like lots of angle, a little more width will cover your shoulders. If you're more of a straight-up-and-down, on-your-back kind of sleeper, you probably won't miss the extra width. Sounds complicated, but there really is no right or wrong way. Every design has its benefits and its weaknesses. Good luck!! Let us know how you make out!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grich9860 View Post
    sawyer...... i am a hiker for the most part, but i do car camp with the family from time to time. i am not a gram weenie, but i do try to keep weight down. i do most (99%) of my hiking during the spring, summer, and fall so i am not looking for sub 30* temps. that being said would 3 layers of IX get me to these temps?
    There are some that say that 3 layers of IX, properly done, will get you that low. I have no experience at those temps, though...

Check the DIY thread, there's a sticky on making an IX UQ. Macentyre is the defacto expert here. In his research, he determined that IX works best when the layers have small gaps. Three stacked layers are cold, but three layers with small gaps are warm.

In Mac's designs, he sews in small pleats that force a small amount of separation between the layers to improve the insulation values of the IX.

The downside to IX is that it's only partially breathable, so it traps moisture, which could leave you cold.

Best of luck!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    All of the UQ's I've made ended up at 40" wide plus the side channels. I always lose about an inch of width in the sewing process. I'm 6'-1" and just under 200#.

I have found this width to be plenty adequate in a gathered end hammock.

Dejoha: I've been dreamingabout making a "V" baffle quilt for years! You must post the details in a separate thread!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Layering

Re: Construction of Insultex or any other layers:

Temperatures dropped fast yesterday after nightfall. A thick cotton jacket and thin polyester shirt weren't enough for 25 miles of 19 mph self-generated breezes, no matter the heat from the engine. So, I stopped at an outlet mall and picked up a $13 Duofold polyester long-sleeved shirt and a couple of 9x11" paper place mats to place between the two shirts.

Amazing what layering will do--ultra-thin polyester fabric, paper sheet, polyester undershirt -- no matter the negligible insulative value of each layer.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Re: Construction of Insultex or any other layers:

Temperatures dropped fast yesterday after nightfall. A thick cotton jacket and thin polyester shirt weren't enough for 25 miles of 19 mph self-generated breezes, no matter the heat from the engine. So, I stopped at an outlet mall and picked up a $13 Duofold polyester long-sleeved shirt and a couple of 9x11" paper place mats to place between the two shirts.

Amazing what layering will do--ultra-thin polyester fabric, paper sheet, polyester undershirt -- no matter the negligible insulative value of each layer.
    i definatley layer while i am out on the trail and tend to over pack when it comes to clothes, but there have been many times that i have been out and have worn everything that i had in my pack. most recently i was in eric family camping and forgot a pad for the old hammock. i had 3 layers of paints and 4 layers of tops. i got so cold i had to go into the tent with the wife and kid. it was an okay sleep in the tent due to a nice double thick air mattress.
    Hops

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast