Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I made an underquilt with sewn thru construction (no baffle). It was hands down the most difficult sewing jog I have ever done!

The problem is that you cannot see the bottom fabric and these slippery nylons simply do not behave, especially when you can't see them. The advantage of netting baffles is that you can see exactly what you are doing.

The conventional net baffles are the easiest for me. They really are not complicated at all; go ahead and try a small scarp piece like ldcakes suggested. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    a lot of people said the same thing including me.... making a sewn through quilt is a pain in the rear LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I found the thread detailing doinf this same thing. It was fun because it was different. It does weigh a tiny bit more. Just as easy to put in bugnet baffles.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3899
    I always fold and sew bugnet baffles. I'm sure it is stronger and if it did pull apart it looks like a pain to repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by trinni View Post
    Absolutely +1
    This portion of the thread has been the best input I've had... I don't hike in cold weather... ok, I don't get cold weather! I was considering a sewn-through nylon/down/IX UQ. Those that have experience attempting this: Thanks! I'm off to setup my baffles...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY-That needs a name
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images
    What about something like this:

The red and orange would be ripstop and the green your baffles.

The sewing would be along where the points of each triangle meet the ripstop and the dots, where the channel for the shockcord would go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Not sure if this follows the thread entirely (my apologies if not) but I am having a harder time envisioning how you close off the ends of the baffles (in a differential quilt) so that the baffles are in fact closed and no down can migrate - and the loft remains at the edges. Or does anyone even bother?

Is it sewn top and bottom but also all the way to the end and down the extra material of the larger piece of quilt? (I may very well be babbling right now)!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badchef View Post

The sewing would be along where the points of each triangle meet the ripstop and the dots, where the channel for the shockcord would go.
    That is interesting. It would result in far more baffle material being used, but it would definitely guarantee that there are no gaps between baffles as they basically overlap.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Great question

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Not sure if this follows the thread entirely (my apologies if not) but I am having a harder time envisioning how you close off the ends of the baffles (in a differential quilt) so that the baffles are in fact closed and no down can migrate - and the loft remains at the edges. Or does anyone even bother?

Is it sewn top and bottom but also all the way to the end and down the extra material of the larger piece of quilt? (I may very well be babbling right now)!
    This is exactly the type of question that I've never seen addressed and when making my first down UQ it ocurred to me as I'm sitting at the sewing machine. I often think I have a great plan to attack a project until I actually undertake it. I used organza for my baffles at the recommendation of John Sawyer and when I got to the ends I left them a little long and just sewed the inner and outer shell layers together. My hope is that with the limited use my quilt will see and the openings being at the ends, there shouldn't be much migration as the down would tend to settle in the middle during use. I'm interested to know what others have chosen to do.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoseley7 View Post
    This is exactly the type of question that I've never seen addressed and when making my first down UQ it ocurred to me as I'm sitting at the sewing machine. I often think I have a great plan to attack a project until I actually undertake it. I used organza for my baffles at the recommendation of John Sawyer and when I got to the ends I left them a little long and just sewed the inner and outer shell layers together. My hope is that with the limited use my quilt will see and the openings being at the ends, there shouldn't be much migration as the down would tend to settle in the middle during use. I'm interested to know what others have chosen to do.
    G.L.P. was kind enough to to help me out here. Take a look at this thread and his beautiful creation! Here
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware

it would work... but why
    it's a lot of extra work to get the same affect you will get from traditional Baffles
    and dealing with more chambers means more of a mess playing around with down ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY-That needs a name
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    it would work... but why
    it's a lot of extra work to get the same affect you will get from traditional Baffles
    and dealing with more chambers means more of a mess playing around with down ....
    It's an idea, looking and thinking beyond what's been done to see if there is an improved way.

Based upon the mock up, it looks to me that the quilt would not have any cold spots. The amount of down that is used is the same, but the number of baffles are doubled.

If the effectiveness of the quilt is improved, then it's worth the extra effort.
    There are very few problems we can solve ourselves, but there is almost nothing we cannot solve together.

Most often when someone says they can't, they are unwilling to try.

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

It is easier to cut your baffle-material to a certain width -- that also gives you a line to sew along. All three quilts I've made so far have V-baffles so there is also no coldspot:

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lmoseley7 View Post

I chose to sew the baffles top and bottom and up the ends to stop any shifting. (Of course the real order was outer shell, outer shell ends and then attach to the inner shell)

See pic#3 http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40624

Really easy to do as well.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast