WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Good ideas all, but it sounds like this might be more trouble than its worth. I just did my first TQ and i was rathed indimated to start with how "complicated" it was. I followed Tewa's TQ instruction thread and it turned out great. It was surprisingly straight forward and simple. Either way have fun MYOG. It's addicting.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    you know... you really don't need to roll the no see um hem ...
    no see um will not pull apart like ripstop

i never roll my no see um in any quilt i ever made
    i agree with others your making more work for yourself ...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    you know... you really don't need to roll the no see um hem ...
    no see um will not pull apart like ripstop

i never roll my no see um in any quilt i ever made
    i agree with others your making more work for yourself ...
    Syb now = unbaffled. Thanks G.L.P.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Take some scrap material and build a small test pillow sized quilt with the first method. Its VERY simple.. sew all on one side, then sew them on the top side, very fast, simple straight stitches. I think once you've tried it, you'll grasp the ease of it.

One other issue I see with your doubled over method is its basically a sewn through quilt and the tubes are just tacked together to make them LOOK like they are baffles. You will get cold spots where the tacks are not holding the 2 tubes together. And what a pain in the arse to have to hand tack each tube like that...

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    Take some scrap material and build a small test pillow sized quilt with the first method. Its VERY simple.. sew all on one side, then sew them on the top side, very fast, simple straight stitches. I think once you've tried it, you'll grasp the ease of it.

One other issue I see with your doubled over method is its basically a sewn through quilt and the tubes are just tacked together to make them LOOK like they are baffles. You will get cold spots where the tacks are not holding the 2 tubes together. And what a pain in the arse to have to hand tack each tube like that...
    i don't see how he will have cold spots...it's pretty much a baffle so there should be no cold spots like there would be with a sewn through i know what he is trying to get at he wants to sew it together than come back up a few inch and sew it again hence making a baffle but out of one piece of fabric
    the only thing i see is a lot more work to get the same affect a baffle will give him and more fabric needed
    and like Dutch said it will be a very narrow quilt on top of that

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I made an underquilt with sewn thru construction (no baffle). It was hands down the most difficult sewing jog I have ever done!

The problem is that you cannot see the bottom fabric and these slippery nylons simply do not behave, especially when you can't see them. The advantage of netting baffles is that you can see exactly what you are doing.

The conventional net baffles are the easiest for me. They really are not complicated at all; go ahead and try a small scarp piece like ldcakes suggested. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I made an underquilt with sewn thru construction (no baffle). It was hands down the most difficult sewing jog I have ever done!

The problem is that you cannot see the bottom fabric and these slippery nylons simply do not behave, especially when you can't see them. The advantage of netting baffles is that you can see exactly what you are doing.

The conventional net baffles are the easiest for me. They really are not complicated at all; go ahead and try a small scarp piece like ldcakes suggested. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    a lot of people said the same thing including me.... making a sewn through quilt is a pain in the rear LOL

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I found the thread detailing doinf this same thing. It was fun because it was different. It does weigh a tiny bit more. Just as easy to put in bugnet baffles.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3899
    I always fold and sew bugnet baffles. I'm sure it is stronger and if it did pull apart it looks like a pain to repair.
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-30-2011 at 18:49.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Good point, hadn't considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I found teh threqd detailing doinf this same thing. It was fun because it was different. It does weigh a tiny bit more. Just as easy to put in bugnet baffles.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3899
    I always fold and sew bugnet baffles. I'm sure it is stronger and if it did pull apart it looks like a pain to repair.
    That has the basic idea of one piece of fabric forming the baffles. The way you sewed it gives you a true baffle instead of the tube coop I described. Eliminates the possibility of gaps.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Absolutely +1

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast