Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

First DIY Bridge finished!

I present to the world....drum roll....the Gypsy Bridge! I think I spent 7 bucks total for this hammock and I used whatever material I had on hand. I was originally calling this bridge "beefy" but decided that after I had finished it that the word "Gypsy" describes it best. It weights almost a ton and almost fits into a duffle bag. As of right now the cord thats running the length of the bridge is two strands of 550 cord. I plan on replacing it with amsteel, I just don't know when.

IMG_3508 by pappy2012, on Flickr

Here is a link to the post of the construction of the bridge. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42051

I'm glad I tested this on my porch instead of when i'm out camping. The way I had the straps at the end of each corner caused one to tear out completely. This was a little defeating. This material is so thick that it already has broken 5 needles. I'm not sure what I should do to fix yet so if anyone has any ideas I'll happily take it.

IMG_3515 by pappy2012, on Flickr

IMG_3517 by pappy2012, on Flickr

I don't know many knots but after It broke the one corner piece this is how I reattached each of the three remaining corners. I did double knots on both sides of the webbing hoping it doesn't place to much stress on it. If anyone has a better idea please share.

IMG_3510 by pappy2012, on Flickr

I used bamboo for the spreader bar so I made these end caps out of the remaining denim I had. This is lumber bamboo so its very very strong. I don't predict having any breaking problems. I read what teedee said about how to find the right lengths for the bars, but I think I will experiment a bit with different lengths to find a length I like.

IMG_3509 by pappy2012, on Flickr
    IMG_3516 by pappy2012, on Flickr

overall I'm happy with the outcome. I made it this long so my brother who is almost 7 feet tall can use it. Also my dad, who isn't the skinniest guy in the world, can relax in ease too. I imagine that this will be mostly used on my porch and when I'm car camping. My next bridge will be a much lighter and easier on the eyes.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    That heavy weight bridge has some great character and looks. As you know don't try to slip it into a backpack.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• + New Posts