Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Trunks
    Images

What to do, what to do

In a little bit of a pickle I'm hoping you guys can help me with. Finally time to expand my quilt collection and cant decide if I should go with the 20 degree setup or the 0 degree one. For the vast majority of my trips the 20 degree would suit me fine, but my buddies usually take a cold winter trip to the Smokies and I'm not sure the 20 degree would be enough. I guess what I'm wanting to know is should I go with the 20 degree setup and try to just supplement it with either overstuff or warm clothes and such if the temps get low, should I just play it safe and get the 0 degree setup and just deal with carrying the extra weight, or would a combination of both be my best setup? I currently have a Te-Wa breeze and Golite tq for my summer gear so this would be mainly for shoulder seasons/winter camping.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    If I were you, not doing much winter camping, I would get the 20* set with about 2 oz overfill, then in the winter, suppliment by layering my summer stuff with the 20* set. That would work just fine and maybe save you some weight during your 3 season trips. YMMV.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    If you are primarily going to do your camping in 20 degree area then the winter might be overkill. You can easily add to a 20 degree UQ by adding clothing, an UQ protector from 2QZQ for some warmth or better yet - a winter sock that can help push nearly 10 more degrees.

However, there are those that simply don't mind the extra weight and use a winter in most seasons learning how to vent it properly.

Myself, I simply pushed my 20 degree set up but now that I have decided to really try winter hanging - I have purchased a winter set from the great people at Hammock Gear!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jkloeker View Post
    For the vast majority of my trips the 20 degree would suit me fine, but my buddies usually take a cold winter trip to the Smokies and I'm not sure the 20 degree would be enough.
    I would get the 20 degree setup up and supplement or borrow for the winter trip.

I was in your situation an opted for the Winter version. Venting is easy, extra ounces dont bother me for piece of mind that even if I get unexpected weather or temps, my gear can handle it. I can cover a wider range of temps with the winter, so that's my choice.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Kinds deoends on if you sleep warm or cold. For me most ratings are low by 10 or so degrees. So i would consider the 0*. but if your warmer blooded the 20 should do the trick. plus you can always supplement with a pad or something. but you can't remove loft if you go to big.

I would go with the 20* setup, but I am a hot sleeper.
    Last night I used my 20* incubator on a GTUL with a 50* sleeping bag converted to a TQ.
    The temp was 36* and I was wearing socks, fleece pants and a polytherm top. At 4 am I was so hot, I had to take off my socks, the polytherm top and vent the Inc...
    So it really just depends on you and how you layer your sleeping cloths.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    I actually love my winter incubator and it not than much more weight. but I only use it in winter. I always use a 15* TQ and just layer up. For me personally I don't want to have to fiddle with taking an extra pad or figure out some way to make sure I'm warm enough underneath. But I also do a good bit during the winter. I actually have 2 different complete hammock setups as well... 1 for 3 season and one for winter. And they both weigh practically the same. But that's just me. I guess it really just depends how much disposable income you have
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hate getting cold. I'd rather be a little hot & vent. I also hate cold feet.

Why get a 2 oz overfill, when you can just pay a bit more and get a 4oz overfill in the form of a 0*? I'd rather have a little extra weight over a miserable hang. Women sleep colder, so if you have a SWMBO, she'd appreciate it.

If you don't do much in the way of winter hangs, the other option would be to carry a little extra weight in the form of a second UQ. Shug recommended this one to me: Maybe an Incubator in conjuction with your Te-Wa Breeze - Doubled up?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL/Nano 7/Nite Owl
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Trunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    If you don't do much in the way of winter hangs, the other option would be to carry a little extra weight in the form of a second UQ. Shug recommended this one to me: Maybe an Incubator in conjuction with your Te-Wa Breeze - Doubled up?
    I had been thinking about layering my Te-Wa with a 3 season Phoniex for the colder nights, but wasnt sure how that would work as far as compressing the down of whichever uq was against the hammock. Does anyone have any pics of a setup like this?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast