DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I don't see the issue. I'm the only hanger in my troop, they all think I'm nuts sleeping in my hammock in Feb in upper Michigan.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There is nothing in the G2SS that does not allow for hammocks to be used. The privacy issue is not an issue.. Just pitch your tarp so that the Scouts can't see you when you change.
    Most of the camping is done by Boy Scouts. Camping in the Cub Scout program is restricted to family camping and Council/District camps. So once again, the privacy issue is a non issue. The parent is there to be the eyes and monitor the young Scout.
    Boy Scouts on the other camp with their Patrols and Adults should never be in their camping space. So once again.. a non issue.
    Most (all but 2) of my Assistant Scoutmasters camp under tarps.. so they are "in sight" this has never been an issue as youth are not allowed in the Adult camping area.
    IF your Troop is youth led and practices the Patrol method.. none of this is an issue.
    Hang and introduce the Scouts to hanging.
    They had an entire Troop at the National Jamboree hanging in HH last year, and Hennessy had a great display of the hammocks and hammock camping. It is being embraced at the National level. Some "old School" locals may balk at the idea.. but then again... they still have wood framed pack boards and wear canvas leggings.
    My Scouts think hammocks are cool, and many are looking into the idea of going that route.
    We are a backpacking Troop.. No patrol boxes.. No Trailer.. Its all in the Packs. Most if not all currently sleep in 1 man tents or tarp tents... The hammock is the next step.
    Have a Great Scouting Day!
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Me too

What a great thread.

I too am a scout leader. My son is currently a Webelos I and I have been a Tiger Den Leader, a Den Leader, Cubmaster and now Webelos Den Leader. We haven't camped in hammocks yet but our hammocks will be here on Friday and the hammock for my son is a Christmas present. I can't wait to sleep in hammocks on a scout campout. In a year my boy will transition to Boy Scouts so we'll do it all over again then.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    OES MCD, WB SF
    Insulation
    WL T/UQ,HG 0* T/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    About half our troop has embraced hanging and the other half hasn't tried it yet. Most think I'm out of my gourd when I hang my Blackbird in below 40 temps, though. Just got my winter tarp, TQ, and UQ (thanks Marty @ WL) so I'm just waiting for the first snow hang.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I hope BSA sees hammock camping as an asset one day. A lot of my boys want to hammock camp but the camping MB has requirement to set up and share a tent with another scout on so many campouts.
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    OES MCD, WB SF
    Insulation
    WL T/UQ,HG 0* T/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    and let's not even get into LNT benefits.
    Last edited by Porloff94; 12-06-2011 at 14:02. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave10 View Post
    I hope BSA sees hammock camping as an asset one day. A lot of my boys want to hammock camp but the camping MB has requirement to set up and share a tent with another scout on so many campouts.

There is no requirement to spend a night in a tent with anyone else. The Tenderfoot and Second Class requirements require sleeping in a tent you helped pitch, but that doesn't mean that you can't tent alone or even set up a tent alone.

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Camping

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I just talked to a ranger today about hammock camping near J. Strom Thurmond dam in SC. The ranger is a scout master and he asked me to come to a meeting and teach his scouts about hammock camping. I can't wait to introduce them to hangin...
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Work In Progress
    Insulation
    Work In Progress
    Suspension
    Work In Progress
    I'm a scoutmaster too and I can't wait to get my rig all finished now that i got the hammock part just need a tarp. Can't wait to see the looks on the kids faces when the Scoutmaster is pitched between two trees and snorin the night away in blissful hammock comfort. Plus think of the other benefits it enforces the LNT principles makes the knots they learn going through the Tenderfoot thru First Class apply to something and helps them retain it easier. To me its a win win tents come in handy for the newer kids but as they get older they may enjoy the ability to just have there own space with there own stuff. One of my ASM's took one to summer camp for the couple days he stayed over. He strung it in one of the big canvas tents we have at camp that happend to have a tree on each side said it was the best nights sleep he ever had not being on the old cots they give us LOL.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Our troop has also recently been working on the Camping MB. Matter of fact, we're going out this coming weekend so the boys can practice what they've learned during the meetings. I know a couple of us will be swinging between the trees on this trip--will try to remember to get some photos and post here

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast