Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Trying to get involved again with the local troop. Have talked to some of the adult leaders and they sure seem intrigued by the hammock idea. . .
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Don't wait, get involved now

I'm SM for my troop and have been involved 4 years with no kids of my own. You don't need to wait until your boy is old enough to be involved. One of our ASM's oldest son is only 6 and he comes along on camp outs.

I'm planning to show the scouts how to make a simple dual layer hammock using the Day Dreamer guide after winter break

A few weeks back it was Whoopie slings...

Ed

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    I'm planning to show the scouts how to make a simple dual layer hammock using the Day Dreamer guide after winter break

A few weeks back it was Whoopie slings...

Ed
    Here is what our Troop is making on Monday...

Getting ready for our next three camp outs in the snow!
    Being a Scoutmaster is the best job ever.. Love it.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Cant stress this enough. Parental involvement is a big one. 21 year old scoutmaster who has no children and is attending college here and it sometimes frustrates me that its me and a few people who's grandkids are in cub scouts leading the troop. Old habits die hard and its hard to bring in the new technology and materials (read silnylon tarps/ tarptent and hammocks) into the troop. They thought I was going to die, literally threatened to use force me to sleep in the cabin for one of the winter cabin camping weekends, so I wouldn't "fall asleep and not wake up". Said I was setting a bad example. They said it was kinda neat in the morning.
    Packeagle,

Kudos to you for your involvement. Only advice I can pass along is to keep on keeping on with getting others (read, parents/guardians) involved as well. I think the majority of us can say, "been there, done that". An small investment of our time will pay huge dividends in the future of that boy (and often, in our own). I once heard a quote but cannot recall who originally said it. It is, "No person stands taller than when they stoop to help a child."

Finally, and one thing I couldn't find in the thread, is folks having correlated hanging to less pack weight, less footprint (i.e., more space in the pack), etc. This is one aspect I always touch on when talking to the scouts about the pros/cons of hanging versus using a tent. As a comparative test, do about a 10-miler with hanging gear in your pack, and a 10-miler with ground dweller gear. It becomes a no-brainer real quick.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Thanks for the support. I appreciate it. Were trying to get parents help. So far the best tactic has been to say, this is what I'll do. If you want xyz then you get to lead it.

(As a side note, my ground gear is lighter. HG top quilt, half a double rainbow tarp tent, BA insulated air core, or z-rest. But not as fun or as comfortable.)

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Packeagle,

Don't ever be afraid to challenge the parents to step up. Whether it's SM, ASM, MB counselor, committee member, etc. There are ALWAYS slots that can be filled with the willing. Too often they'll sit back and expect the other "volunteers" to do everything; and sometimes even complain that they don't like how things are running, etc., but will not do anything other than bring their scout to meetings/events. Those that have stepped up and volunteered can get burnt out which affects "delivering the promise" for all involved.

Duly noted on the ground gear--from your gear listing it sounds like you're somewhat of a gram weenie though. From my experiences, unless they're Life or Eagles, they normally aren't as "minimalist" as it sounds like you are and their gear typically weighs more/takes up more space. At least that's what I've witnessed in the couple of troops I've been in. What I do know for a fact is that ever since I've been hanging, I've never woken up with pains from sleeping on rocks, roots, acorns, pine cones, etc.

Again, and in case you don't get it from the scouts, parents or other volunters in your troop, I'll tell you "thanks" for what you do. It makes a difference!!!

YIS,
    Todd Cyrus
    ASM, T-773
    Crestview, FL

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    IMHO, A lot of what would make the hammock lighter is because the investment of time/ money isn't made by the scouts who sleep on the ground. Look at the cost of a light hammock setup vs light backpacking tent setup. Both are above what most scouts are willing to spend. Look at heavy tent and hammock setups tents are much cheaper. DIY is where scouts can save and get lighter gear but labor and skill come into play.

Most scouts use large tents and heavy sleeping bags. Hammock gear by the nature of the market is lighter because its smaller, uses better materials (high quality down, climashield, lighter weights of nylon etc. vs. Polyfil, cotton and heavy fabrics) and uses trees as support vs heavy fiberglass poles. Gram weenies like me strive for the lighter stuff in the hammock market, but there is a big market for bomber car camp gear. So thats whats produced and available. Its really a system to system comparison. A 6lb tent ($75) split 3 ways is still lighter then a Hennessy hammock and tarp ($200 each). A ccf pad lighter than an underquilt... (but pads can be used in hammocks.) The value of $100 tarps to parents isn't the same as it is to you and I.

For scouts it boils down to talking the troop into quality choices in gear purchases.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Start cheap and go from there. That way you can find out which scouts will actually enjoy it.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Nearly 1/3 of our active Scouts are hangers. Nearly all of the Venture Crew hang. It's nearly a right of passage now for those past First Class.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456