Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Hiking with a Handicapped Dog

I have a five-year old beagle named Peanut. He is the runt of the litter, which are often not the healthiest dogs. I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry him on hikes.

At three years old, Peanut developed disc problems and partial paralysis. Degenerative disk disease is a common beagle problem. After spending $3000 on an MRI, the doctor said the dog had four degenerative discs and a Chiari malformation ( a defect where the spinal cord enters the skull). Surgery to correct these problems would have been 6 to 10 thousand dollars, but the doctor recommended against it. She recommended keeping the dog in a cage for six weeks to limit movement. Scar tissue might form and the dog might get better.

Well, Peanut is better. He can hike a couple of miles with no problem. Longer distances? I'm just not sure it's wise for him. However, that doesn't mean I can't carry him on the trail. He's 16 to 20 lbs and about six to eight inches tall.

So how would you transport the handicapped Peanut on the trail? I have carried him often in a day pack, but what about when I'm carrying a full pack? I really don't want him hanging out the top of a 60 liter pack. So here are the options I see right now.

1. Create an Aarn-style pack that could connect to the front shoulder supports of my pack. You could even use a day pack to make something.
    2. Create a sling, kind of like a mini-hammock, that would drape over one shoulder. I used these slings for carrying all three of my kids when they were transportable infants (carry-able?).

In my opinion the sling would be much more comfortable for the dog. However, that puts added strain on one shoulder. I suppose you could switch shoulders during the hike, but that's a drag for me and the dog.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    What about a wagon? Put pulk poles on it, and tow him.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    There is a video out that I seen on Youtube.You place your backpack to it then hook it around your waist and pull your pack. Maybe that would be something to look into. Sorry,I cant remember the name of it.HS

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    First thing that came to my mind was a simple solution that I definitely would do if I had your situation ... I'd call up Paul at Arrowhead Equipment and order one of the Dixon Roller packs he carries on his site. I think a man could make a very comfortable ride for your beast with little to no strain on you.

Up until a few years ago when my last Beagle passed away ... nearly killed me inside ... I've had Beagles all my life. No disrespect to my boy Spencer but Beagles are the best dogs ever.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    First thing that came to my mind was a simple solution that I definitely would do if I had your situation ... I'd call up Paul at Arrowhead Equipment and order one of the Dixon Roller packs he carries on his site. I think a man could make a very comfortable ride for your beast with little to no strain on you.
    This sounds like a very good solution. You wouldn't even feel the extra weight (much) this way.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

I expect it is just too much weight to carry overall but a friend has a carrier she wears in front to carry her dog in. It's like a baby carrier where the dog faces forward on your chest with their legs sticking out. I tried it with her dog and it was very comfortable for both the dog and me.

If I had a backpack on the straps might get in he way but I've seen people carry small packs on their chest with a full pack on. The offsetting weight balance might be an advantage also.
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You do the same thing you would do when hiking with other people: adapt your route to the abilities of the weakest hiker - with the important difference that you must be especially mindful, because dogs don't complain when they are uncomfortable, and they will ignore real pain just to be with their humans. There are incredible places to visit that can be enjoyed at a pace of two miles per day. It can be tough to stop challenging yourself a bit each time you head out. Take up fishing.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    You do the same thing you would do when hiking with other people: adapt your route to the abilities of the weakest hiker - with the important difference that you must be especially mindful, because dogs don't complain when they are uncomfortable, and they will ignore real pain just to be with their humans. There are incredible places to visit that can be enjoyed at a pace of two miles per day. It can be tough to stop challenging yourself a bit each time you head out. Take up fishing.
    +1 on what WV says. I carry my little ones in a front pack dog carrier...but I'd be concerned with your situation that it could hurt your little guys back or cause it to misaligned, or even your steps unexpectedly jolting him wrong. I'd have to say that if one of mine had any spine issues, I wouldn't put them in a front carrier. Again +1 on what WV is saying.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    +1 on what WV says. I carry my little ones in a front pack dog carrier...but I'd be concerned with your situation that it could hurt your little guys back or cause it to misaligned, or even your steps unexpectedly jolting him wrong. I'd have to say that if one of mine had any spine issues, I wouldn't put them in a front carrier. Again +1 on what WV is saying.
    +2 w/ VW....I also like the wagon/ pulk sled idea....

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Good advice there! I agree with WV. I'm afraid a pulk or a roller pack or a sling or a baby carrier will just cause great discomfort to your little buddy. He'll tolerate it but would you really want to do that to him? Of course not! Just adjust your trips to his ability--I would definitely NOT push the envelope with him either. Stay WELL within his abilities to account for the difficult terrain and all the "side trips" pooches take. An easy walk for him will be a great adventure that he'll enjoy very much! And his company will give you great joy on the trail too! Thanks for taking such good care of your little guy.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast