Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    +1 on what WV says. I carry my little ones in a front pack dog carrier...but I'd be concerned with your situation that it could hurt your little guys back or cause it to misaligned, or even your steps unexpectedly jolting him wrong. I'd have to say that if one of mine had any spine issues, I wouldn't put them in a front carrier. Again +1 on what WV is saying.
    +2 w/ VW....I also like the wagon/ pulk sled idea....

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    You do the same thing you would do when hiking with other people: adapt your route to the abilities of the weakest hiker - with the important difference that you must be especially mindful, because dogs don't complain when they are uncomfortable, and they will ignore real pain just to be with their humans. There are incredible places to visit that can be enjoyed at a pace of two miles per day. It can be tough to stop challenging yourself a bit each time you head out. Take up fishing.
    Good advice there! I agree with WV. I'm afraid a pulk or a roller pack or a sling or a baby carrier will just cause great discomfort to your little buddy. He'll tolerate it but would you really want to do that to him? Of course not! Just adjust your trips to his ability--I would definitely NOT push the envelope with him either. Stay WELL within his abilities to account for the difficult terrain and all the "side trips" pooches take. An easy walk for him will be a great adventure that he'll enjoy very much! And his company will give you great joy on the trail too! Thanks for taking such good care of your little guy.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I didn't mean to rule out carrying your pup entirely, but you know your dog best and can judge what he can tolerate. It's not bad to have experience with the carrying option in case of an accident. I once cut four leg holes in a big beach towel so I could use it as a sling for our terrorist (part alarmist, part terrier).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Peanut tolerates being carried pretty well. Given his druthers, I'm sure he would druther not go in a day pack, just as he would rather not sleep in my hammock with me. But once he's in the hammock, he sleeps pretty comfortably. If he gets too hot, he climbs out from under the sleeping bag/quilt and sleeps on my head, at the top of the hammock. I call it my dog hat.

I'm really not doing anything with Peanut that he hasn't been doing for a couple of years. The day pack works great by itself, but I need something different when I'm wearing a backpack. I'm just trying to extend his range a little bit so we can see different places and get him out in the piney woods for overnights.

It's been three years since his back injury and I know his limitations. He won't hesitate to ask to be carried up the stairs, or a large hill. And Peanut knows his limitations too. If he's tired, he rests.

And he does need to get out and exercise. The worst thing for his discs is to be overweight. It's taken him three years to get up the stamina for a two-mile hike, but he's very slowly getting back in shape.

I definitely don't like the pulk/wagon/roller idea. The dog's too small for that. Here is a picture of Peanut next to my Hammock Gear Burrow 20* topquilt.

As you can see, he really is a peanut! Not a lot of dog there.

I'm leaning towards converting a day pack to clip on to the front shoulder straps, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to transfer the weight to the hips.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Peanut's a super cutie, that's for sure! Have you heard of Pet-a-roos? petaroo.jpg I don't know whether it would be big enough for Peanut, but they are pet carriers made to wear "the pet" on the front. Good luck and keep us up to date on your travels with Peanut!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I definitely don't like the pulk/wagon/roller idea. The dog's too small for that.
    Well whatever you want to do then, it's your dog. But how can the dog can be too small for this? I'm not following that logic.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Well whatever you want to do then, it's your dog. But how can the dog can be too small for this? I'm not following that logic.
    If Peanut were 40 lbs., then that's a lot of weight to carry and rollers/sled/wagon might be the way to go. But Peanut is 16 to 20 lbs, and that's not a lot of weight. Besides, the roller/sled/wagon route is not that useful, from my perspective, unless you're hiking on a handicap-accessible trail with no rocks, roots, etc.

That's why I'm leaning towards something like the Outward Hound Petaroo. I checked out the prices and you can find one for less than $20 that will fit Peanut nicely. However, I think I'll save my money and just wear the daypack on the chest. Peanut's already accustomed to the daypack and I do sometimes wear it on the chest.

I'm not carrying Peanut for long - 30 minutes max before he gets out and walks. And we're not going much further than usual. If he can hike two miles now, I just want to get him to maybe five or seven miles to extend the range of places we can go. I despise drive-in public campgrounds. The hike-in campgrounds are less-crowded and offer a better wilderness experience for Peanut and me.

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&knots
    Silvr:

An off road baby stroller with knobby tires should work fine (or you could make your own). It should be light enough to carry for short distances, over obstacles, and will keep you from carrying the dog, which will not be comfortable for you or the dog as compression to the dog's ribcage will make it hard for him to breathe.

d

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If Peanut were 40 lbs., then that's a lot of weight to carry and rollers/sled/wagon might be the way to go. But Peanut is 16 to 20 lbs, and that's not a lot of weight. Besides, the roller/sled/wagon route is not that useful, from my perspective, unless you're hiking on a handicap-accessible trail with no rocks, roots, etc.

That's why I'm leaning towards something like the Outward Hound Petaroo. I checked out the prices and you can find one for less than $20 that will fit Peanut nicely. However, I think I'll save my money and just wear the daypack on the chest. Peanut's already accustomed to the daypack and I do sometimes wear it on the chest.

I'm not carrying Peanut for long - 30 minutes max before he gets out and walks. And we're not going much further than usual. If he can hike two miles now, I just want to get him to maybe five or seven miles to extend the range of places we can go. I despise drive-in public campgrounds. The hike-in campgrounds are less-crowded and offer a better wilderness experience for Peanut and me.
    Oh ok. I see what you're saying. Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like you have it under control .

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Thanks for taking such good care of your little guy.
    ^^^this^^^

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast