Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Tarp suspension idea

I can imagine this idea has been kicked around before, but I would like to kick it again, or for the first time as the case may be...

I use 3/4" polyester webbing for my suspension. I wrap it around the tree like huggers, then run it to my carabiner that is attached to my SR and hammock cord. I attach the carabiner with a MSH using the biner as the toggle. Heavy system for a heavy hanger! I prefer over-engineering over sudden descent and landing!

All that being said, here is my idea for the tarp ridgeline. I have used a continuous ridgeline before using paracord. I have a cheap blue Wal-Mart tarp until I have budget for lighter options. I was thinking of tying a piece of shock cord in a loop through the grommet that runs along where the ridgeline goes & then tie a prussic with paracord to the hammock suspension (webbing), connecting the two loops with a small 'biner. Put this under some but not full tension, then as you enter the hammock, it follows down with the sag, but keeps tight. I modified my tie-outs last night and incorporated 1 foot of shock with my utility cord, so I can put them under tension as well to take up the slack. An adjustable ridgeline can be incorporated for a higher hang above the hammock. Prussic allows user to raise connection points higher on suspension for ventilation/view, or lower for weather protection. May not work for all tarp configurations, but maybe several. One less thing to chafe the tree bark, and it might make life easier. Dumb idea? Old idea? Be gentle. I am a noob!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    1" webbing is the norm here. 3/4" may not be the best choice for long term durabilty.

As for your tarp being attached to the hammock suspension..Getting the sag issue figured right will be tricky. You either overstress the tarp prior to the hammock being weighted or use heavy shockcord to maintain good tarp tension.
    The other alternative is to use shockcord on all your tarp tie-out/guyline point to absorb the sag. Either way you go, it'll be fiddly to get all the factors (good lay of hammock, tight tarp, allowing for sag, etc..) to work out well.

Then varying locations will be problematic and need further adjusting. It has been done before , but for most the connected tarp and hammock suspension are difficult to get to work well.

But hey, give it a whirl and see how you like it.

PS, Paracord is stretchy, and it soaks up water like a sponge. Para as a ridgeline will need constant adjustment to maintain a tight pitch. It works, just not the best choice.
    Try zing it for a better line. It may seem a little pricey but the stuff works wonders in this application. It has very low stretch (almost none) and does not absorb water. Zing it does not like knots, so you'll need to learn to splice. But thats a good skill to learn!
    HYOH
    Last edited by gargoyle; 12-02-2011 at 10:28.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    1" webbing is the norm here. 3/4" may not be the best choice for long term durabilty.

As for your tarp being attached to the hammock suspension..Getting the sag issue figured right will be tricky. You either overstress the tarp prior to the hammock being weighted or use heavy shockcord to maintain good tarp tension.
    The other alternative is to use shockcord on all your tarp tie-out/guyline point to absorb the sag. Either way you go, it'll be fiddly to get all the factors (good lay of hammock, tight tarp, allowing for sag, etc..) to work out well.

Then varying locations will be problematic and need further adjusting. It has been done before , but for most the connected tarp and hammock suspension are difficult to get to work well.

But hey, give it a whirl and see how you like it.

PS, Paracord is stretchy, and it soaks up water like a sponge. Para as a ridgeline will need constant adjustment to maintain a tight pitch. It works, just not the best choice.
    Try zing it for a better line. It may seem a little pricey but the stuff works wonders in this application. It has very low stretch (almost none) and does not absorb water. Zing it does not like knots, so you'll need to learn to splice. But thats a good skill to learn!
    HYOH
    Thanks Gargoyle. I am planning on experimenting with some 5/32 shock cord I found for a little more resilience Thought 1/8 looked a little frail for my purposes. I'll look into the Zing it if my theory works for me! Thanks for the input!

• + New Posts