JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware

BMBH DIY underquilt width?

Looking at picking up a BMBH. If I were going to make a DIY under quilt from a sleeping bag that 36" wide would that be wide enough to work around a BMBH? I am fairly small framed, 5'6 145#
    thanks.
    Last edited by chewbacca; 12-04-2011 at 14:08.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I find on a bridge hammock, narrower underquilts work better. That is one reason that the Mt. Washington line of quilts are only 42" wide. Some of the underquilts that Grizz makes for his Grizzbridges are only 36" wide. So I say pick a number between those 2 and you should be fine width wise for the BMBH. As for length, that is entirely up to you.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I'm preparing to make a DIY uq for my BMBH too. The distance between the hanging tabs on the hammock is roughly 42", so anything below that is probably fine hanging-wise.

Another thing to consids is how far up the side you want the quilt to go. 36" will probably get your back and shoulders fine while flat, but you might lose coverage if you lean up too far on the side or rest your knees on the sides.

Images
    Here are some pics of the 42" wide MW3 ( short/torso ) on a BMBH, shot from inside the occupied hammock.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Guys thanks for all the great post and pictures.

So here is my plan, let me know what you think. I plan on buying this sleeping bag. (see bellow). It is a 40 degree bag, 65" wide. cutting it in half the long way and using the top part is an top quilt and spraying the bottom with some water replent spray and some suspension to work with the BMBH and using it as a bottom quilt. I guess it would be two pieces at only 32.5" wide. Granted this would be for summer camping, but for under 60 dollars to have both would be a great deal.....if it works. What do you guys think? ... is it crazy?

I also thought of sewing on a velcro strip when cutting it so I can push it back together to use as a normal sleep bag if I wanted to on occasion.

North Face Allegheny 40
    http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/Cate...1/NFCBAGR.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Guys thanks for all the great post and pictures.

So here is my plan, let me know what you think. I plan on buying this sleeping bag. (see bellow). It is a 40 degree bag, 65" wide. cutting it in half the long way and using the top part is an top quilt and spraying the bottom with some water replent spray and some suspension to work with the BMBH and using it as a bottom quilt. I guess it would be two pieces at only 32.5" wide. Granted this would be for summer camping, but for under 60 dollars to have both would be a great deal.....if it works. What do you guys think? ... is it crazy?

I also thought of sewing on a velcro strip when cutting it so I can push it back together to use as a normal sleep bag if I wanted to on occasion.

North Face Allegheny 40
    http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2165/Context_2144/Sort_Relevance/DescSort_0/Filter_brand%3dNorth__Face%3aflid_2165_5%3d2433%3a price%3d(50.0!60.0%5d/Page_1/NFCBAGR.html
    That is 9.5" less wide than the JRB MW in the pics above. Looking at the generous coverage supplied by the MW in the pics I supplied ( it comes up several inches above the center top edge of the occupied hammock). You will be reducing that coverage 4.75" on each side. I think you will get by, especially in the summer.

I think a much greater challenge will be staying draft free with a TQ just 32.5" wide. Most TQs are at least 48" wide, many are 50 plus. But the chance of success will be greater in the BMBH than with other hammocks, IMO. Still, that is pushing it. Are you skinny and do you not move much while sleeping?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That is 9.5" less wide than the JRB MW in the pics above. Looking at the generous coverage supplied by the MW in the pics I supplied ( it comes up several inches above the center top edge of the occupied hammock). You will be reducing that coverage 4.75" on each side. I think you will get by, especially in the summer.

I think a much greater challenge will be staying draft free with a TQ just 32.5" wide. Most TQs are at least 48" wide, many are 50 plus. But the chance of success will be greater in the BMBH than with other hammocks, IMO. Still, that is pushing it. Are you skinny and do you not move much while sleeping?
    Generally concur with BB58 for summer..... But the concern for TQ tuck applies to back of the shoulder and back side ,outer portions of arms as well, warmth of the UQ...Too Narrow IMHO but hey, give it a try and report out.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Thanks Guys. It would be a close fit I think. I measure 50" all the way around my arms and chest. The NF bag measures 65" for girth. This would leave approx 4 " tucked at the sides from the DIY TQ and n4" wrapped from the bottom a total of 8" on each side. I guess if I move it could be a problem. Maybe a few small cut pieces of pad for "wings" at the shoulders would do the trick. This would definitely be a summer rig. A long way from summer camping up here in Minnesota, so I will have some time to think about and construct it before I report back!
    thanks.

• + New Posts