i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH

UQ... sort of

Just out of curiosity... I've been rolling ideas through my head lately about a UQ of sorts. I was thinking that if I could find a large enough down or similar type of mens parka, I could convert it to a type of UQ. So I made a quick stop by a local thrift store... no parkas but they did have some brand new mens 4x light weight jackets for like 12$. Its huge, lightweight, waterproof/windproof shell & light fleece lining. It's basically a big rectangle. I know as a coat it's really warm because I am familiar with the brand from past work experience in the uniform world, so I think it would definitely be warm. I think with a few modifications I could make it work as a UQ. I should say I sleep with a pad and am just looking for a little bit extra in the protection and warmth area so I can hang in colder temps. I'm in a HH would like it basically to fit really closely to the underside of my hammock. I'm need minimum space between it and my hammock. Maybe I could even use it as a place to slide an extra pad in. What do you think? I'm still tampering with the idea. Just thought I would throw it out there. Oooooo.... what if I could make it kind of like a poncho so it would be a multi-purpose piece? To modify I would pull off the hood and sleeves (they could be reused for there intended purposes), pull out the side seams, I don't think it had pockets, and I think it was a pullover type jacket. That would leave me with a really large rectangle that would simply need to be cut to the desired dimensions. Again this is a really large jacket (almost as wide as my hammock). If I cut it to fit the shape of the hammock I think it would fit perfectly. Ok, so that alot of ideas, let me know if this is crazy. At least it is a cheap crazy.

sunny

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Check out this thread.

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    Sweet! I'm not crazy after all!! Thanks for the link!

Sunny

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

gardenville

A few years ago, a very creative poster, gardenville, designed a dual purpose sleeveless tunic and UQ. He used SUL materials different from what Jacks or Better use for their Sniveler quilts.

Gargoyle's jacket adaptation of keeping the sleeves on the jacket/UQ is new to me.

I like how designs can improve in increments by publishing what has been done, so others can add to that.

• + New Posts