Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    pan,
    can you describe how the tieouts are different from the ones on the old 8x8 tarp, i thought i remembered you saying they were stronger. the look very similar although i haven't seen a pic of the corner pull tabs of the 8x8 in a while

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    These 2 tarps are really close. I have been trying to decide this choice for a while. Although you comparison is excellent I still can't make up my mind. I'm just going to have to get them both.
    That was my problem. I couldn't make up my mind without putting my hands on them both.

And even having decided to sell the JRB . . . part of me wants to keep it!

I wish I could combine my favorite things about both tarps into one tarp.
    If only I could sew!

Images
    I added some photos showing some of the flexibility of the Speer WinterTarp to demonstrate a 'front porch' pitch for it and to show what you have to change to go from a partially closed pitch to get that. This is one variation of a foul weather to fair weather change over. Where it can get interesting is when you have to change the other way, from fair weather to foul weather. Or when you are blocking wind from one direction and the wind shifts on you.

Basically you only have to move the stakes on one side of the tarp, the ridgeline and the other side of the tarp can stay put. This makes for a flexible setup with minimum fuss. There is no identity crisis as to which tie outs are suppose to be what-- you don't have to move guy lines from one tie out to another, re-orient the tarp, change which tie outs are the ridgeline, or which guy lines need tensioners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I added some photos showing some of the flexibility of the Speer WinterTarp to demonstrate a 'front porch' pitch for it
    Yep, that's the same "front porch" that I like to set up (I learned it from watching you, okay?! )

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood

Basically you only have to move the stakes on one side of the tarp, the ridgeline and the other side of the tarp can stay put. This makes for a flexible setup with minimum fuss.
    And that's the main reason I'm staying with the SWT for now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I added some photos showing some of the flexibility of the Speer WinterTarp to demonstrate a 'front porch' pitch for it and to show what you have to change to go from a partially closed pitch to get that. This is one variation of a foul weather to fair weather change over. Where it can get interesting is when you have to change the other way, from fair weather to foul weather. Or when you are blocking wind from one direction and the wind shifts on you.

Basically you only have to move the stakes on one side of the tarp, the ridgeline and the other side of the tarp can stay put. This makes for a flexible setup with minimum fuss. There is no identity crisis as to which tie outs are suppose to be what-- you don't have to move guy lines from one tie out to another, re-orient the tarp, change which tie outs are the ridgeline, or which guy lines need tensioners.
    What's going on in that last picture? I don't know what I'm looking at there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What's going on in that last picture? I don't know what I'm looking at there.
    The fourth, and last picture, is a closeup showing how the corners are tied off to each other on one side of the tarp. The third picture shows how that looks, basically you remove the corners of the tarp that way to improve your view when you don't need as much coverage... it converts to a hex type coverage.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I like SWT but I really don't like brightly colored tarps, or tents, or other stuff. I prefer my setup and gear not be the primary visible feature of the area around me. In short, if they made that in a brown or muted green I might have bought it.

I also wonder, are there ways to pitch it that don't need 4 stakes per side? I already don't like dealing with 6.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I like SWT but I really don't like brightly colored tarps, or tents, or other stuff. I prefer my setup and gear not be the primary visible feature of the area around me. In short, if they made that in a brown or muted green I might have bought it.

I also wonder, are there ways to pitch it that don't need 4 stakes per side? I already don't like dealing with 6.
    Yep, I'm with you, all tarps look better in green or brown. But apparently no one but the JacksRBetter folks can get sil in those colors.

And the SWT can totally be pitched with just 4 stakes. You'd just tie the flaps to eachother like I did for the porch pitch. Then the SWT looks pretty much like a hex tarp.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    And the SWT can totally be pitched with just 4 stakes. You'd just tie the flaps to eachother like I did for the porch pitch. Then the SWT looks pretty much like a hex tarp.

Good point, I should have noticed that.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    RAW, Thanks for the photos and review.

Anyone pack their SWT in SnakeSkins? If so, what size Snake Skin is the best fit to pack the SWT?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast