Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images

I chickened out again

I went on a walk with the Syracuse Outdoor Adventures Meetup today, on the Moose river in the Adirondacks. I had already decided to hang up there at Moss Lake afterwards. So I went for the walk around the lake and down to Bub Lake as well. It's very pretty up there with an inch or two of snow on the ground.

I had decided to hang there Saturday night, but I was concerned my setup would have been too cold. I don't have a proper UQ. I setup my poncho liner, which I have run shock cord through to close up the ends, and laid my down sleeping bag in between it and the hammock. I tried to pin it first to the poncho liner, then to the hammock with clothes pins, but after getting in and out of the hammock it was clear I wasn't going to be able to keep the sleeping bag in place. It was pretty bloody cold lying there with my feet damp from wearing my Stormchasers all day. So I packed up and went home!

I need to test these things in my backyard first before driving two hours from home!
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Keep hangin in there. It will al work out. That's awesome though that you were out and checking things out. Heck, my first night sleeping in my basement was horrible,lol. I think your ahead of the game!
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    If you have a nice down sleeping bag you might want to try and sling it under the hammock like I did in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38978) ... works great, stays put all night too. No modifications to the bag, so its still usable as it was designed...

Just a thought. Keep trying, you'll get comfy and warm and realize it was all worth it.

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I spent at least a weeks worth of the five weeks I spent visiting my Dad this summer fine tuning my gear. It was well worth the tinkering. Of course, a person doesn't really need an excuse to get your gear out to play. I followed the time with my Dad in western Montana with three weeks in Alaska (one of which was all spent hammock camping). It's never a fail, but a fine-tuning...

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    If you have a nice down sleeping bag you might want to try and sling it under the hammock like I did in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38978) ... works great, stays put all night too. No modifications to the bag, so its still usable as it was designed...

Just a thought. Keep trying, you'll get comfy and warm and realize it was all worth it.
    Dang, I could have tried that, I had some spare cord with me! Good idea.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    At least you were smart enough to know the limits and not tempt fate, and become a statistic. Good job on your sound reasoning.

Give it some time, and work towards getting the proper gear, it will come together in the end.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

• + New Posts