WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

Double layer question

I just test hung my 1.1 double. Really impressed with this hammock. I think I'm going to keep the original suspension too. It's very simple and adjust very easily. The shelf is very cool too. All in all, I love it.

I noticed that the double layer was tacked at a few spots but otherwise open and when I'm in the hammock it kinda bugs me a bit. I don't know why though. I guess I thought there would be a zipper access and otherwise closed. Is it open for a specific reason?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    It is designed so a pad will slip in there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    It is designed so a pad will slip in there.
    Yea, I knew that but thought it would had a zipper. It's tacked in the middle and the half that bothers me is the head half. I may sew a few tack point every six inches or so along that part. I can still add a pad through the foot opening.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    When I made my DL hammock, I sewed the middle 1/3 of each side. This left openings on each end, on each side, to insert and adjust the insultation. But with the sides sewn, the place you get in and out of the hammock is smooth and uncomplicated. I think there's an article and a diagram posted somewhere on this site.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Not a BB owner but my DD Frontline has the bottom layer sewed along its entire length on one side. The other side has 3 short velcro strips - 1 at the center and 1 about a third of the way in from each end. It works OK but is not as good a look and fit as I would like. It can tend to open a little between the velcro and gives the inserted pad a chance to move out of place. I plan to sew in at least 2 more strips of velcro to better close that side. IMO it would be best to have both sides able to be securely closed.
    I might add that on the Frontline the double layer completely covers the first layer - there are no openings at the end.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't worry about it. The single layer works like the double, except I've been told it has a slight amount more stretch. I haven't found the fabric to move in my doubles. You could pretty much not have them tacked together and they'd still hold due to the tension on the ends.

I guess you could contact 2QZQ and have them sew on zippers if it was that important to you. I don't find that they slip or slide at all, so I wouldn't want all the extra weight of a zipper that didn't do anything.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I installed 5 snaps (3 below the middle and 2 above the middle) to the edges of the bottom layers, so that the two layers stay together along its entire length. Works like a charm, and keeps the edges out of the zipper and out of my face. I can unsnap them any time I want to put something in there between the layers.

REI sells do-it-yourself snap fastener kits for only a few dollars. I've seen them at Walmart, as well.
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

• + New Posts